Website Makeover

Important forum announcements.
Moonraker

Re: Website Makeover

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote:Noddy deserves a place beside the Weekly Serial banners, methinks, when he was being carved by Old Man Carver - something like a writer "carving" his stories! :) :twisted:
Thank you, my faithful friend. I totally agree!
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Yes, Noddy is a delightful little creature, who has much to teach people reading the books through his own actions. He is brave and loyal, and even though he is sometimes up to mischief, usually he is a good lad, kindhearted and friendly. And Noddy is perhaps Blyton's best known character, if he is on the homepage, it is a major attraction for visitors!

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Ming wrote: if he is on the homepage, it is a major attraction for visitors!
Unless you're Anita!! :lol: :wink:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

I will humbly eat humble pie about the Interactive Island picture, since you all seem to be in agreement. Hey, that's what democracy is about! :D

The Noddy "argument" is interesting through. I have no interest in Noddy whatsoever, but I wouldn't go so far as to banish him from my house as Anita might, if I felt Lily might appreciate him. He IS one of Blyton's most colorful, well-known characters, and perhaps he should be on the home page somewhere. I like Ming's idea of him being next to the weekly serial banner, especially as those banners are now not wide enough to fit across the page! Perhaps a harmless Noddy head to the right hand side...?

Speaking of Noddy, somewhere I have a half-finished page for the little guy. He has so many books in his name that he deserves/requires an entire section devoted to him, where all his books can be viewed in place.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have to admit that I find the sheer volume of Noddy mind-boggling. There are numerous modern Noddy series that are not on the website - I haven't really gone beyond the early 70s. Probably about 200 books based on the various TV series, and I wouldn't think that our Enid wrote any of them! I have done what most ostriches do, just stuck my head in the sand! :lol:

I hope everybody noticed that I did choose two Noddy books on the Home Page of the Cave of Books!! I guess I could bow to pressure and accept one on the Home page, but it must be a proper Beek one and not a modern one!! :roll:
Ming

Post by Ming »

No I hadn't noticed it, but now looking closely I see it! At last! Noddy has shown himself on the website! :lol:

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Keith Robinson wrote:The Noddy "argument" is interesting through. I have no interest in Noddy whatsoever, but I wouldn't go so far as to banish him from my house as Anita might, if I felt Lily might appreciate him. He IS one of Blyton's most colorful, well-known characters, and perhaps he should be on the home page somewhere. I like Ming's idea of him being next to the weekly serial banner, especially as those banners are now not wide enough to fit across the page! Perhaps a harmless Noddy head to the right hand side...?
You want to behead Noddy?! :shock: Even I wouldn't go that far! :lol:

Noddy isn't banished from my house or anything - I even read a few of the books to my son when he was younger. I don't "hate" the Little Nodding Man - I just find that a little of him goes a long way! The stories seem long-winded to me, and I feel it's a shame that so much prominence is given to Noddy nowadays rather than Enid Blyton's other creations. However, the illustrations are very attractive so I wouldn't really have minded a Noddy on the Home Page, though I did have a chuckle to myself on realising that he wasn't represented at all. :wink: I chose the illustration for the "Fireside Journal" button and in fact suggested two possibilities. One was the Chimney Corner Stories picture (Dean) and the other was a picture of Noddy sitting up in bed, reading a book by the light of a candle (if that had been chosen, the button would have been called "Journal by Candlelight.") Both Keith and Tony rejected Noddy in favour of the Chimney Corner Stories girl! :lol:

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Both Keith and Tony rejected Noddy in favour of the Chimney Corner Stories girl! :lol:
It's a fair cop, Guv. Yes, I remember saying, "No! Not a Noddy button!" I'd forgotten that. :?

Anyway, Noddy and Big-Ears are now on the home page, surrounding the weekly serial banner. And yes, I beheaded both of them. Let's see Noddy nod now!! *Nod, plop, roll...*
Ming

Post by Ming »

Good to see Noddy and Big-Ears "beheaded" on the home page! Nigel and I had planned on pestering everyone till Noddy showed up - didn't realise it would be this easy! :lol:

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote:Good to see Noddy and Big-Ears "beheaded" on the home page! Nigel and I had planned on pestering everyone till Noddy showed up - didn't realise it would be this easy! :lol:
Me neither! I had started to make initial plans for a huge Noddy campaign, but I'm glad I can now devote my time to other things, such as savouring the Belgian Beers (I know 'Beers' doesn't need a capital letter, but it does warrant one!) that I have azquires through Tesco's amazing Beer offers!

Anita, I had also planned to come to next year's day dressed as the little nodding man, but now I don't have to.

At least the powers that be realise that Ming and I are a force to be reckoned with; a real little Bets and Fatty! :D
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Moonraker wrote: Anita, I had also planned to come to next year's day dressed as the little nodding man, but now I don't have to.
I don't see why not :lol: :lol:

As for Noddy, apart from reading the very first book, I've never read any others. I always put Noddy down as being for toddlers. My grand kids used to watch the TV series of Noddy, but even they have moved on :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have to admit that I have never read a Noddy book all the way through either, and I don't have to now as I can read Terry's entertaining reviews instead, he has done 15 books so far, I take my hat off to him!

I took those illustrations from the endpapers of the 4th Big Noddy Book, I am actually quite fond of them as the original Beek artwork from those pages is hanging on my wall.

Sorry to disrupt your campaign before it even started! :lol:
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote: I had also planned to come to next year's day dressed as the little nodding man, but now I don't have to.
That's a SHAME! :lol:

I think all of us others should start a new campaign to get Nigel to come to the next EB Day dressed as Noddy! Who's in favour?! :wink:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

I'm certainly in favor, Robert, but I think Nigel would be better suited as Big-Ears. :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Keith Robinson wrote:I'm certainly in favor, Robert, but I think Nigel would be better suited as Big-Ears. :D
I was thinking exactly the same thing! :wink:
Ming wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote: Can anyone identify the school story?
Third Form at Malory Towers?
Close, Ming, but not quite there.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member