Another Milestone!

Important forum announcements.
Tony Summerfield

Another Milestone!

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Just under three years ago I remember proudly posting our 1000th message. I never dreamed that such a short time later I would be posting our 32000th message! Well done to all those who have contributed to these forums over the past three years.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Another Milestone!

Post by Ming »

Way to go, Enid Blyton Society members (and non-members like myself -- I'm temporarily that tho!) :lol: :D :D

This is so awesome. Here I am, at 6.20 pm, (almost) shouting "Way to go EBS". Exactly 6 hours ago, I was shouting my head off at SFX Greenherald "Go AKS". We had gone to the semi-finals (No, I was not a debater, but an observer -- not good enough yet!) and then we lost to the runners-up (Greenherald Team A). Ah well, it was a good 3 days. It may have involved giving up the weekend till half past nine but winning 3 debates out of 5 was a good thing. And this was a new team too, doing their first out-of-school debate tournament. :D

Back on topic, strange how Tony gets to post all the milestone messages! 1000th, 10000th, 32000th. I wonder when we will have our 100000th message. :lol:

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Ming wrote: I wonder when we will have our 100000th message. :lol:
Oh in about two months I should imagine if we keep going at the present rate. :wink:

Seriously that is a fantastic achievement by all of us and most especially to Tony, Keith, Anita, Matt, George@Kirrin and all others on the team who keep the place up and running. And of course all of our wonderful and friendly members who ensure that these forums are always a pleasure to visit.

Hurrah for the Enid Blyton Society. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

and Ming has done about 10% in just 18 months :!:

:D

I had a quick look at the SFX website. It occured to me that when you own a website you can find out where your visitors have originated from. I bet there will be a very bemused staff member wondering why so much interest is being shown in their Bangladeshi school by members of EBS!

:lol:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Ming

Post by Ming »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:and Ming has done about 10% in just 18 months :!:
Do I smell something sarcastic? :wink:

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Wouldn't dare :shock:

(now is that being sarcastic? :wink: )

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote:Way to go, Enid Blyton Society members
This is so awesome. Here I am, at 6.20 pm, (almost) shouting "Way to go EBS"
What on earth does "Way to go" mean? Do you mean that we still have some way to go to achieve some goal? If so, what is that goal? It seems to me that we have already achieved an impressive amount of posts!
Society Member
Ming

Post by Ming »

You just have to pick on me, don't you Nige? :wink:

I meant it as a motivation. Who knows, it might be American. :twisted:

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Way to go is indeed an American expression meaning Yes, well done, keep up the same good work etc. Its usually heard at sports fixtures but it can also be used to congratulate, for example, a work colleague who has scored a success at something.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

You are absolutely right, Ming, 'Way to go' is a meaningless American expression. There are a number of others that are equally meaningless. When the door bell goes in an American programme someone normally says, 'I'll get the door' - I have never yet seen anyone returning with the door though! :lol:
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

Tony Summerfield wrote:You are absolutely right, Ming, 'Way to go' is a meaningless American expression. There are a number of others that are equally meaningless. When the door bell goes in an American programme someone normally says, 'I'll get the door' - I have never yet seen anyone returning with the door though! :lol:
Along the same lines, I love "I'll put the kettle on"..............how exactly are they intending to put it on? I know my kettle wouldn't fit me! :lol:
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
dsr

Post by dsr »

Sorry, Nigel, I can usually back you up in the "I'm a grumpy old man and can't stand change" stakes, but I think I'm with Ming on this one. It is, after all, an international website. I think "way to go" is shorthand for "That is the way to go to achieve success" or something like that, and we know the Yankees haven't the patience to say the whole thing :twisted:, but it's not meaningless. Go Packers! Go Brewers!
DSR
Ming

Post by Ming »

And the winner is Ming... :lol:

Sorry Nige, but majority wins. The adjudicators agree with me. :P :wink:

:lol:

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

How about "Way to go, Secret Seven" as a title for a continuation book?

Kate.
Tony Summerfield

You frequently hear 'Way to Go' yelled out at American golf tournaments, along with 'You're the Man' - but I guess that "Way to Go Secret Seven" sounds better than "You're the Man, Fatty!" :lol: