Sotheby's Auction of Famous Five covers

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Sotheby's Auction of Famous Five covers

Post by Fiona1986 »

I had an email the other day from someone at House of Illustration, to say that the five 70th anniversary covers are up for auction.
We are very excited to be able to include original drawings of the Famous Five, commissioned to celebrate the series’ 70th anniversary, in a fundraising auction we are holding at Sotheby’s on Tuesday 13 December – see page 9 of the PDF attached.

In 2012, to celebrate the 70th anniversary of Enid Blyton's much-loved Famous Five series, five of the most illustrious children's illustrators of today were asked to provide new special anniversary covers for the first five adventures in the series. These original artworks were published by Hodder Children's Books for the 70th anniversary edition. Please click here to see all five illustrations (lots 294- 298).

These are one-offs and each would make a perfect present for an ardent Enid Blyton fan.

The auction starts at 2.30pm and you can bid in person, by phone or online. The works will be displayed to the public at Sotheby’s on Friday 9th – Monday 12th December.

You can view all the artworks online by going to http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/201 ... 16408.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

The auction is to raise money for House of Illustration, the UK’s only public gallery devoted to illustration based in King’s Cross in London. We put on exhibitions and events, promote new illustration talent, commission new art work and we have an illustrator-led learning programme for schools, families, students and enthusiasts of all ages. We are a registered charity and receive no public funding, raising all the money ourselves from admissions, retail and fundraising from a variety of sources.
So, if you have £2-3000? :D
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: Sotheby's Auction of Famous Five covers

Post by number 6 »

I'm just checking my pockets now! No, I can't find £2-3000! I've only got a few coppers & a sticky toffee I didn't know I had! :| Nice lots, though. I hope they go to the home of a true Blyton fan. :D
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Don't forget, though, it depends on one's taste in art. :wink: The artworks in question are the originals for these:

I actually really like the Emma Chichester Clark one (Five Run Away Together), but don't have a spare £2-3,000 on me either... :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

On the Smuggler's Top cover Block looks like Hitler dressed as a French waiter. :?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

He does too. :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Although as Famous Five covers, I'm not that keen, as pieces of artwork, some of these I would certainly go for, if I had a spare few thousand pounds. ;-)

I actually like 'Smuggler's Top' - find the style quite artistic - and I also like 'Go Off In A Caravan' and 'Adventuring Again' as well as 'Run Away'. I wouldn't buy any of them as books, because I prefer the old versions by Eileen Soper (or even Betty Maxey!) but as pieces of collectable art, I quite like them. Pity they are so expensive though - I mean, the prices are a lot steeper than some original artwork I've liked better and seen for sale on eBay.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

These were originally auctioned in Waterstone's in London when the books were launched in 2012. It was one of these silent auctions where people wrote their bids under the artwork. Although most had a number of bids I think the same person bought them all (possibly Quentin Blake) and donated them to the House of Illustration.

I had emails a week or two ago from both Sotheby's and the House of Illustration asking me to make our members aware of the sale. When I saw the estimates for them I didn't bother to say any anything about it as I was pretty sure that none of our members would be too interested in the £2500 to £3000 range that they gave me! I don't think that they fetched nearly that amount in the original auction, although both the Quentin Blake and the Emma Chichester Clark one had a number of bids on them.

The actual artwork can be seen here:-

http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/eca ... t.294.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Oh for some original Betty Maxey artwork....*sigh*

Although on a positive note the appearance of all the Mary Gernat artwork gives one a little hope..
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

One good thing, Pete - If Betty Maxey artwork comes up for sale, you and I won't have much competition from Blyton fans! ;-) :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

You never know, Rob — there are some strange people out there. :twisted: :wink:
Society Member

Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

pete9012S wrote:Although on a positive note the appearance of all the Mary Gernat artwork gives one a little hope..
Don't be misled, Pete, he isn't actually selling the original artwork. These are just prints blown up to a huge size as the artwork is not actually much bigger than the books (I have a couple of pieces that I bought from Mary Gernat herself). If you look on the table near the Jimmy print you can see some artwork there (yellow front and back cover) with the book lying on top of it. I don't think he is selling the artwork at all, but simply making large prints of it and making money on those.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Original or not - they're lovely and I would happily have one!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Ha ha! Rob and Courtenay made me laugh.

Yes,Tony,they are prints - one positive aspect being that they should be cheaper to buy than the original artwork?
I don't know how much the prints above actually sell for though?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Courtenay wrote:Don't forget, though, it depends on one's taste in art. :wink: The artworks in question are the originals for these:

What the devil is going on with this one; Anne and Julian are dressed in clothes from the 50s and George (?) is wearing a check shirt, jeans and trainers?!

Not sure how anyone could draw that and not look at it and think hang on, I've drawn clothes from different eras?
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Er, yeah, now I look at it, you're right, Cathy. :shock: I was wondering what it was that bugged me about the portrayal of George in that picture, and now I realise... She does look totally out of the wrong era compared to the rest of them! It's a pity, as it would otherwise be quite a nice cover, but that spoils it for me.

As I said, the one I most like (and would even consider buying if I had a few thousand quid to burn :mrgreen: ) is the Emma Chichester Clark one. I'm not sure what era the children are supposed to be from in this (again, George looks a little inconsistent with the others), but I love the colours and the real sense of movement and adventure in the way the children are drawn. My only real objection would be that Timmy looks a bit odd, especially in the head! But otherwise it's a nice picture that (to me, anyway) looks fresh and modern without losing the feeling of this book being a children's classic.

Society Member