Changing Illustrations In The Books..

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Changing Illustrations In The Books..

Post by pete9012S »

Following the recent discussions about 'modern' covers and internal illustrations,it would seem that this debate has already been going on for some time!

I love the sentiments expressed by Doreen James in this very brief excerpt from Green Hedges back in 1994..

http://share.pho.to/9jO5U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Changing Illustrations In The Books..

Post by Rob Houghton »

I don't think I dare write any more about this subject! ;-)

It's true though that I loved all the illustrations I came across as a kid - and they weren't always the originals. They were 'my' version of the characters...Derek Lucas' Secret Seven, the annual Famous Five depictions, Rene Cloke's Faraway Tree and Wishing Chair. I used to thoroughly believe I might one day meet these characters - even maybe climb the faraway tree...but I can't imagine children looking at the modern Famous Five illustrations and thinking a similar thing! The characters I grew up with were of human proportions like real children, not like the almost alien creations we see today.

I found the Betty Maxey covers particularly attractive as a child and now I'm older I realise they did exactly the opposite to the weird modern covers. Whilst the modern colour story books are obviously now aimed at 5-6 year olds, Maybe the Maxey covers were also misleading in their way, because they seemed aimed at teenagers. I thought they were too grown-up for me, aged 7 or 8 and so I never read them! The one I remember most, and thought was very dramatic and almost scary, was this one -

I thought this was very adult when I took a sneaky look at it on my sister's bookshelf! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anne Henriette
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers / Twins of St Clare's
Favourite character: Sally Hope / H. Wentworth, Isabella O'Sullivan

Post by Anne Henriette »

This is indeed a never-ending subject. I don't know many of the English illustrators, but those - sometimes very weird - changes in illustrations are visible in French and German editions too.
And when I look at the French ones, I'm quite appalled!
Robert Houghton wrote:but I can't imagine children looking at the modern Famous Five illustrations and thinking a similar thing!
Me neither, Robert.
Robert Houghton wrote:The characters I grew up with were of human proportions like real children, not like the almost alien creations we see today.
Right.
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." (Joseph Addison, 1672-1719)
Escanor
Favourite book/series: Five Get into a Fix / Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Colin

Post by Escanor »

Robert Houghton wrote:I loved all the illustrations I came across as a kid - and they weren't always the originals. They were 'my' version of the characters...
Robert Houghton wrote:I used to thoroughly believe I might one day meet these characters - even maybe climb the faraway tree...but I can't imagine children looking at the modern Famous Five illustrations and thinking a similar thing!
I don't know how the modern illustrations you guys are talking about look like, but I can't see how the ones you and I grew up with could possibly have a similar impact on today's children. It's the stories themselves, they've kind of become obsolete. Things like the internet, cell phones, video games are so common nowadays, that children might not be able to imagine a world without them. I read my Blytons in the early nineties and their worlds were still "relatable" to mine. (The only thing I had that the Famous Five didn't, was the television, and I didn't even notice it at the time, because I didn't think of it as a necessity in a child's life.)

I can't see how the same thing could happen today. Today's children will probably think that the stories they read are stories that might have taken place in the past or even in a traditional fairy tale world. Modern illustrations in such worlds would definitely be a bit confusing.

Of course, I can't possibly know for sure what children think of Blyton's stories today, because I don't have any of my own. I'm just sharing some thoughts. :wink: