Shirley Hughes

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Re: Shirley Hughes

Post by Spitfire »

Tony Summerfield wrote: I think many of them will have come across some of these illustrators at an earlier reading stage and therefore wish to buy the covers by their favourites.
That's a good point - I hadn't considered that.
Anita Bensoussane wrote:That's interesting. I don't remember Julian's hair colour being mentioned, though in Five on a Treasure Island we're told that he has brown eyes. I think Enid Blyton describes Dick's hair as dark in one of the books, but I don't recall which one (and I might even be imagining it!)
I've found the quote in Treasure Island about Julian's eyes being brown, but I can't find him mentioned as blond anywhere! :| Having consulted one of my sisters (my off-line Enid Blyton consultant and fellow fan) who also thinks of Julian as blond, she suggests the obvious, that it's the influence of Soper's illustrations. I must have imagined reading about his blond hair then! :roll:
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Thanks very much for posting these, Tony! It's fascinating to see how differently each of these modern illustrators tackle a Famous Five front cover. The Shirley Hughs front cover for Five On Kirrin Island Again is really nice. I really love the excellent skill used in creating the fabulous 'stormy-sea' effect in the background. The portrayal of the children is OK, but nothing special in my point of view. The Five Fall Into Adventure one is ridiculous. The children look like mice with their stupid tiny noses and Timmy looks like an oversized rat! And then onto Five Get Into Trouble: perhaps my soft spot for this one is due to the story being my favourite Enid Blyton book, but I really do like a lot of the aspects about this illustrators style. Everything is so atmospheric and chilling - with the moon illuminating the scene with a sinister effect, and outlining the classic iron gates. The children, in my point of view are a subtle and welcoming modernization. And though George doesn't look her best with a seemingly misshapen head, the others look very worthy of the title: Famous Five. Hmmm - just stopped Timmy... looking rather like a rabbit... :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

As the rest of the website has not been effected by the recent forum problems I have been happily pottering around in the Cave over the last few days and I have added the two missing cartoon covers from next year's release. It seems a bit unfair to put them in a Shirley Hughes thread, but as the other three are already here I thought these should join them.
Image Image

I think perhaps a visit to specsavers is called for on the dazzling picture for Camp by David Dazzyman!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Tony. Crikey - those characters on the front cover of Five Go Off to Camp are terrifying. They look like mutant thugs! I wonder what Enid Blyton would say about Julian's legs and feet!

The Five on a Hike Together cover is better, except for Timmy who looks part dog and part monkey!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Thanks, Tony. I enjoy seeing these new interpretations of the Famous Five - despite the fact that my own vision of the characters are dramatically different to some of these artists' portrayals! The David Tazzyman design looks quite similar to the Jamie Littler illustrations (recent Famous Five short story editions) which I wasn't keen on. They just seem too cartoony and irrelevant to the text in my opinion. Also looking at the cover, it looks like it is aimed at younger readers which is quite misleading. The children are dramatically out of proportion and certainly do not meet Enid's own description!

I definitely prefer the Tony Ross cover. There is more detail, the colours are more attractive and relevant. The era is preserved to a certain extent and the characters look likable, friendly and accurate to Enid's own description and imagination.
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

The David Dazzyman cover is awful. Are those black blobs in the sky clouds or smoke signals?
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tim looks like the Hound of the Baskervilles!
Society Member
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

John Pickup wrote:Are those black blobs in the sky clouds or smoke signals?
Or somebody's dirty fingerprints?... :shock:
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Tony Summerfield wrote: Image
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :x :x :x :x :x :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Come on - it's a volcano surely! :? :? A quite awful illustration, I do agree.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Moonraker wrote:Tim looks like the Hound of the Baskervilles!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

John Pickup wrote:The David Dazzyman cover is awful. Are those black blobs in the sky clouds or smoke signals?
Look like smoke signals to me. Maybe it's been updated to place them in the Wild West. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh, I know - it must be clouds of smoke from the spook train. If you look carefully, the black blobs form an arc originating just over the horizon... :roll:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

The David ?Tazzyman? one is horrible, horrible, horrible in every way.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

'Camp' could have been worse as David Tazzyman illustrates the Mr Gum books for Andy Stanton - best sellers in Germany as well as the UK!