Shirley Hughes

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Shirley Hughes

Post by Courtenay »

Ugh and double ugh. :evil: Actually, Babette Cole's is a rather bigger ugh, but they're still both ugh.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Babette Cole has very carefully concealed which of the children is supposed to be Anne! I have just looked up Shirley Hughes on Google and she has just had her 87th birthday, these illustrators are a hardy lot.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I love Babette Cole for things like the Doctor Dog books and "The Trouble with my Mum/Gran/Uncle etc."

But not for the Famous Five!

Soper certainly always drew Julian with and Anne with fair hair and George and Dick with dark but I can't be sure if that features in the text. I have a feeling that Julian IS described as something like "Tall, blonde and determined looking," at some point though.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Okay, so you have had the sweetie - now comes the medicine, I hope it doesn't taste too bad! :lol:
Terrible! Babette Cole appears to have designed a cover for a book called Four Boys and a Giant Rat!
Tony Summerfield wrote:Another spoonful perhaps!! :lol:
I don't mind Polly Dunbar's cover as much as Babette Cole's. The children and dog look lamentably cartoony - and the gates of Owl's Dene, which are supposed to be formidable, are pathetic! However, the background is quite atmospheric and I like the moon and the owl.

Thanks for putting these up, Tony. It's strange that they're only just appearing now, almost two and a half years after the first five covers were redone by an assortment of artists.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

I'm not as enamoured of the Shirley Hughes cover as most here seem to be. The one I assume is meant to be Julian with the blond hair looks too young compared to the others and the figure that I guess is supposed to be George in the orange jumper is downright ugly!

It's much better tham Babette Cole's effort though. That thing that looks like a cross between a shetland pony and a fresian cow is supposed to be Timmy I'm assuming, but why are the children so happy? They look as though they haven't a care in the world, yet this is one of the most tense and suspenseful scenes in a book that's filled with them. Incidentally, Anne has opted to stay at home at this point, instead of paying a visit to Red Tower, which would be why she's not amongst the characters in the illustration.

My favourite of the three would be Polly Dunbar's. Like Anita I find the children too 'cartoony', but equally I also like the atmospheric setting. But surely even Moonraker must agree that Betty Maxey's covers are better than these!
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

I've always liked Shirley Hughes' scribbly, flowing style, but I don't like her depiction of the Famous Five at all, or of Kirrin Island! Nothing about that cover would entice me, as a child, to try the book if I weren't familiar with Enid Blyton. And even then I would probably read it despite the cover!

Babette Cole's babyish cover is terrible. Will children really be attracted by it? It looks like a joke book for eight-year-olds, not a serious adventure story for ten plus! She couldn't have done a better job if she had been commissioned to mock and lampoon the Famous Five books. It certainly doesn't represent them, or the exciting adventure that they are about to have.

I'm rarely so severe about modern covers because I think that ultimately they have to appeal to today's children, as opposed to pleasing us Enid Blyton die-hards, but I find Babette Cole's cover insulting to the story, the characters and to today's children.

I like the The Polly Dunbar cover because it actually captures something of the adventure itself, and I too find it atmospheric. I think this cover is more likely to interest children.
Fiona1986 wrote:Soper certainly always drew Julian with and Anne with fair hair and George and Dick with dark but I can't be sure if that features in the text. I have a feeling that Julian IS described as something like "Tall, blonde and determined looking," at some point though.
Are you sure that wasn't Stef?... :wink: Just kidding, I think you are right. I'm sure Julian's hair colour is mentioned in Five on a Treasure Island When I get up I'll check.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's interesting. I don't remember Julian's hair colour being mentioned, though in Five on a Treasure Island we're told that he has brown eyes. I think Enid Blyton describes Dick's hair as dark in one of the books, but I don't recall which one (and I might even be imagining it!)
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Sorry, but I'm going to buck the wave of opinion in favour of this cover. Okay, I've seen worse, but they don't look like 1940s' children to me - and what about Kirrin Island? I've seen bigger rocks than that! As for the other illustrations, I'll just agree with the comments already made.
Society Member
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

The tower looks as though it should have smoke belching from the top of it and factories all around!!!
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Babette Cole's illustration, if that is a truthful description, is rubbish. The other one isn't much better. Timmy's ears are ridiculous, he looks as if he's about to take off.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

What I think we sometimes tend to forget is that these books are being aimed at children and whether we like it or not the target age group is probably 8 year-olds now for the Famous Five. I think many of them will have come across some of these illustrators at an earlier reading stage and therefore wish to buy the covers by their favourites.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

You're quite right, Tony and anything that keeps the books on the shelves is fine by me. But I still think the covers are rubbish.
Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Very much agreed with Tony. Nowadays, children love cartoonish covers.

You are correct Anita. Julian has brown hair, Dick and George have black hairs and Anne hasblonde hair.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Tony Summerfield

The trouble is that many children seem to like rubbish, John, you only have to look at what has been showing in our cinema over the last month!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Five Fall into Adventure cover is just terrible. For me there's no other word for it. Is that giant rat suppose to be Timmy. I can't even see that cover appealing to the children of today, even.

Into Trouble isn't bad. Quite acceptable for todays market. And I like the atmosphere the illustrator has created.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member