Shirley Hughes

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Re: Shirley Hughes

Post by walter raleigh »

The David Tazzyman cover may well be skilfully executed but his style of illustration is as others have said very unsuited to the 'Famous Five' series, although he might be a better fit for the 'Wishing Chair' or 'Faraway Tree' books. His interpretation surely couldn't be worse than the Quentin Blake examples seen elsewhere.

I do like the Tony Ross cover on the other hand, although the children are a little cartoony for my taste. But then as Tony has pointed out the books aren't aimed at someone with my tastes.
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Daisy wrote:You're probably right Tony. If we love the books, we tend to like what we are first introduced to regarding illustrators. Look at the Soper v Maxey discussions we have had. I guess if other authors have book covers like this latest version, then it makes sense to the publishers to make the Fives books look similar. (I was going to say similarly appealing!) So, if the books reach a wider audience, we can only rejoice.

I agree to a certain extent...but then the Betty Maxey illustrations were still proportionately human in stature and facial expression. The Tony Ross illustrations and the Tazzyman illustrations are great for fantasy type stories but I find it odd that 'real' humans can be depicted as cartoon characters. I loved the 1970's Famous Five annuals, but again, the characters depicted did still look human. I can't imagine that I would have liked the Ross/Tazzyman versions even as a child. I guess what it really shows is that I'm getting older, LOL. ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Not necessarily, Robert. :wink: I'm under 35 and I don't like the style of the Ross or Tazzyman illustrations either, as far as the Famous Five covers go. I don't at all mind cartoony-looking illustrations for books that are full of zany and wacky humour, but that's not at all what Enid Blyton's books are like.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)