Artist Query

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Pagan

Artist Query

Post by Pagan »

Hello, some years ago I purchased a pencil drawing in a small antique shop in Clifton, Bristol, by an artist whose signature I think reads as O.J. Openshaw, it is dated 30 January 1930. The lady who sold it to me thought the artist had been an illustrator for Enid Blyton, this was not the reason I purchased it, I just loved the subject. I would however be interested to know if anyone had heard of him/ her as I have tried unsuccessfully to find out more about the artist.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Artist Query

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Could it be O. F. rather than O. J.? The reason I ask is that Olive F. Openshaw illustrated a number of Enid Blyton books, mainly Mary Mouse strip books:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sear ... h=openshaw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Pagan

Re: Artist Query

Post by Pagan »

Hi Anita, thank you for the reply, yes it possibly could be an F, I have taken a photograph of the drawing and the signature but cannot work out how or if I would be able to attach it to my post.

P.S. A quick update, I have just 'googled' the full name and found this http://www.dunravengallery.com/openshaw.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with has a close up of the signature and although it of Olive's full first name the similarity of the letters makes me almost certain it is the same person. So hopefully the mystery has been solved and I am pleased I will be able to find out a little more about the artist.