Ann Winder-Boyle

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Ann Winder-Boyle

Post by pete9012S »

Ann Winder-Boyle has done at least two books from the Famous Five series as part of the collection displayed here.
Can you spot them?
Has anybody heard of her and her Enid Blyton themed work before?
Quotes

"Winder-Boyle has created some beautiful retro pictures, but the most interesting of her mixed media wax paintings are nostalgic with a bite; reassuring images that carry sinister undertones. The effect of mangling Enid Blyton-esque book plates of happy 1930s children with contemporary themes or unpleasant truths is sharply satisfying. Given the medium she uses though it is difficult to judge Winder-Boyle alongside her contemporaries and as a result no one has quite worked out what to make of her. Her materials we, tend to, associate with craft, further confusing us. When does a craftwork become an art work, or is it one already? How do we label her? However, one thing is clear, this artist is getting noticed, she's doing something striking and different and she may just have the intellect to turn this craft of hers into high art. Watch this space."

Martin Newman, Art critic and assistant news editor at the Daily Mirror.
http://www.annwinder-boyle.co.uk/gallery.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Ann Winder-Boyle

Post by Courtenay »

No, I hadn't heard of her before. Interesting satirical take on the two FF titles! (I won't say what they are or how she's interpreted them, so as not to spoil it for others looking for them.)

Her works remind me a little of some retro-with-a-twist art and craftwork that I've seen in a few places in Melbourne, but Winder-Boyle is based in England, so maybe it's just some trend in the artistic thought-atmosphere, so to speak! 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Our computer is really slow at the moment and it froze when I visited that site. I managed to have a look at one of the Famous Five pictures but I thought it was a bit odd and nothing to write home about.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

The illustrations bear no resemblance to the stories! - Well the Famous Five ones anyway. Most odd.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I spotted both the FF books and I don't think the artwork is representative of the books. One of them looks as if the children have visited the local tip.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

The way I saw it, she wasn't meaning to represent the actual Famous Five as such; rather, she was giving a satirical modern interpretation of two of the book titles. :twisted: It's a black humour kind of approach - clever, though not really to my taste.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)