Daphne Rowles 1922-1967

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Daphne Rowles 1922-1967

Post by pete9012S »

ROWLES Daphne B. 1922-1967

Illustrator and daughter of artists Stanley Rowles and Lillian Rowles. Daphne is best known as the illustrator of ‘Nicky Nobody', the story of a young orphan and his dog Chum.
As far as I can ascertain Daphne Rowles only illustrated one Enid Blyton book,1964's The Hidey Hole,three years before she sadly passed away.
Her artwork seems to be very much in the Blyton style,and I could imagine her illustrating the Secret Seven or perhaps even the Find Outers later paperbacks.

Other books she illustrated are;
Illustrated Books
The Three Clerks by Anthony Trollope; simplified by A. L. Walker. London, Longmans, Green & Co., 1952.
Let's Find Out. A teacher's handbook of lessons on everyday things by Gladys Plummer & Dorothy Emily White. London, Longmans, Green & Co., 2 vols., 1953; as J'Observe et je Cherche, traduit et adapté pour le Congo Belge par J.F. Carrington et O.W. Sorgel. Londres, Longmans, Green et Cie, 3 vols., 1955.
Nicky Nobody and the Rocket Spies by Bill Wellings. London, Hulton Press, 1958.
Learn and Act by Margaret Baker. London, Longmans, 4 vols., 1962-68.
An Introduction to Learning English by J. M. Miller. London, Longmans, 1963.
Jamie on His Own by Elisabeth Batt. London, Lutterworth Press, 1963.
Know Your Pupils byb Wilfrid Patridge. London, Longmans, 1963.
English Grammar and Exercises by Leslie Chapman. London, Longmans, 1964- .
The Hidey-Hole by Enid Blyton. London, Lutterworth Press, 1964.
Three Secret Seeds by Joyce Reason. London, Lutterworth Press, 1964.
A Graded Secondary School English Course by Alan Etherton & Granville Thornley. London, Longmans, Green & Co., 5 vols., 1964-65. [some vols. illus. by James Moss]
The Fire-Escape by Joyce Reason. London, Lutterworth Press (Junior Gateway 6), 1965.
Here Comes Thursday! by Michael Bond. London, George Harrap & Co., 1966.
Wild Cat Ginger's Family by Campbell K. Finlay. London, George Harrap & Co., 1966.
Bears Back in Business by Margaret Baker. London, George G. Harrap & Co., 1967.
The Scarlet Runners by Elisabeth Batt. London, Lutterworth Press (Junior Gateway ), 1967.

BEAR ALLEY BOOKS

Did some research to find out more about her work and background.

http://bearalley.blogspot.co.uk/2006/11 ... owles.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's another cover she did for Lutterworth in 1964 to compare with The Hidey Hole;

ImageImage

This seems to be her best known work; Nicky Nobody from 1958;

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Re: Daphne Rowles 1922-1967

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Thanks for that, Pete, it is always nice to learn something new. I have actually got the four 'Thursday' books by Michael Bond, and now I know why she only illustrated the first one - she was only 45 when she died!

I always wanted to have an illustrator section on this website, but I didn't do so as I didn't want to tread on the toes of Heather's Blyton Pages, but this has long since ceased to be an active website. Almost all her Blyton images were taken from this website anyway (with permission!!), but all her other images were taken off the internet as she didn't have many of the books and I longed to have something a bit more comprehensive on this website.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Re: Daphne Rowles 1922-1967

Post by Kate Mary »

That was interesting, Pete. What a pity such a talented artist died so young. I was particularly interested to see the Swift novel Nicky Nobody and the Rocket Spies, I own a number of 'Girl' novels from the same series that featured characters from Girl comic. I well remember the Swift comic too.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member