Find-Outers' Illustrators

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Moonraker

Find-Outers' Illustrators

Post by Moonraker »

Pete9012S wrote:Have we got a thread here were we discuss all the Find Outers illustrators?
We have now! :wink: Maybe I'll post my comment here, then!
Katharine wrote:I've been reading early editions of the FFO books, and I really don't like the drawings in those at all.
Many of are horrified by Joseph Abbey's illustrations. It is only nostalgia that makes me kind of like them! The one on the bus is absurd - there is no gangway, the perspective is all wrong and one side of the bus seems to be higher than the other!

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: Find-Outers' Illustrators

Post by Eddie Muir »

I agree with you absolutely about Joseph Abbey's illustrations, Nigel, especially your comment about nostalgia.

My own favourite illustrator of this wonderful series is Treyer Evans. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes, I much prefer the Treyer Evans drawings, I'm not sure if any of my books contain those, I just looked them up in the cave.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I prefer the Treyer-Evans, illustrations, but I don't really mind Abbey's at all. That is apart from the drawing of the Pantomime Cat. He looks positively frightening!!! :shock:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Post by Fatty »

Is that a bus? I thought those were pews in a church. <pause> Does an abbey have pews?
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Pershore's does!

THE Chancellor of the Diocese of Worcester announced his judgement on Pershore Abbey's long running pews controversy.
Following July's Consistory Court, Charles Mynors concluded that the pews in the nave should remain in a modified and more flexible form, while the side aisles should remain clear of pews.
Representative samples of older pews should be retained in certain parts of the abbey, but he decided the design of the proposed chairs was "not yet entirely satisfactory."
He also said the pastoral consequences of removing all or nearly all of the pews would have had been "almost entirely adverse."
Mr Mynors added: "I trust all concerned will now be able to put the past behind them, and move on together to seek the common good in a new spirit of co-operation."

[Sorry!]
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

For me,its quite a rare event,but I quite like/prefer many of the illustrations from the early 1970's paperbacks.
The paperbacks I own did include the excellent Treyer Evans pics (which are possibly the best of all the illustrators efforts?)

You know what I'm going to say...'I wish Tony would consider including the 1970's paperback illustrations in the cave!' :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Ian Regan

Post by Ian Regan »

pete9012S wrote:You know what I'm going to say...'I wish Tony would consider including the 1970's paperback illustrations in the cave!' :D
Ta da! :D

http://seriesbookart.co.uk/blyton/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“I am fighting an enraged chair,” Jupe puffed. “And I think I’m winning. Give me another couple of minutes.” - Jupiter Jones in The Mystery of the Fiery Eye.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks for the link, Ian. Great illustrations, a joy to look at.
Society Member
Lawrie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Find-Outers, Malory Towers
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy, Alicia, Fatty and Bets

Post by Lawrie »

Yes, thank you Ian for that link. For the first time ever I think I'm going to have to say I prefer the (early) paperback illustrations. Of the hardback illustrators it has to be Treyer Evans for me. I remember looking at the Abbey picture of the Find-Outers on the bus and puzzling over it for ages trying to work out who was who, and why they weren't sitting in the right places, never mind the weirdness of the perspective. One thing - why do nearly all the illustrators make Pip so tiny? I know he wasn't as tall as Larry or Fatty but in some cases he seems to be smaller than Bets!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lawrie wrote:I remember looking at the Abbey picture of the Find-Outers on the bus and puzzling over it for ages trying to work out who was who, and why they weren't sitting in the right places, never mind the weirdness of the perspective.
Me too! How on earth did he get the commission? Having said that, there is a certain je ne sais quoi about his drawings.....
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm interested that everyone has mentioned Treyer Evans, and J Abbey...but what about Lilian Buchanan? Doesnt anyone like her illustrations? Personally I like hers the best, followed by Treyer Evans. J Abbey, for me, is way down the list after most of the paperback illustrators! :wink:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

The first copies I had of the Find Outers were the Armada paperbacks and I thought the cover drawings by Charles Stewart were excellent. Saying that, I have to agree with Robert about Lilian Buchanan, I prefer her covers to Abbey or Evans.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I guess because she only illustrated the last three books she isnt so well known, but as you say John, I love her cover designs, especially for 'Strange Messages' and 'Missing Man'.

Charles Stewart was actually the first Find Outers illustrator I came across, as the Armada paperback version of 'The Mystery of the Missing Necklace' was the first FFO book I ever read. It was from a jumble sale and the cover was attached with tape, and three pages were missing at the end, so I never knew how it finished for quite a few years! I still read it several times though! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

'Spiteful Letters' is one of only two 1st edition/Joseph Abbey FFO books I've got, and I always thought his pictures looked a bit odd. Fatty looks like a mature teenager whereas Pip resembles a boy of about 8 in short trousers, and yet they're both supposed to be the same age!