Stuart Tresilian (Uncle Cecil)

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
yarvelling
Favourite book/series: Adventure, FF, and Barney/R series
Favourite character: Loony and Kiki

Re: Stuart Tresilian (Uncle Cecil)

Post by yarvelling »

Sorry to resurrect another old thread, but I'm playing catch-up here :-)
I think the Stuart Tresilian drawings in this series are some of the best children's book illustrations ever! They're so full of life, atmosphere, and drama, and as some have mentioned, they're quite 'dark', which i think suits the books perfectly.
I have never found any particular inconstancies with the characterisations; especially with the children... you can always spot Philip and Dinah by the upward tufts drawn on the hair, from the first, through to the last book, and similar facial features too, and the same goes for Jack and Lucy-Ann - I always felt that he conveyed, very successfully, a brother/sister familiarity between the two couples of children. Bill of course, never changed, and really, I only see a change of hair-do with Mrs Mannering/Cunningham!
I adore this series of books because it has a very different 'feel' to the other series', and Tresilians' illustrations really added a certain 'atmosphere' to them, that they must be sorely lacking in the later reprints without illustrations!
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

These were the first books that I read because of the iconic and exciting
illustrations - including the wonderful end papers.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Still my all time favourite illustrator. His pictures were perfect for this series. It is a crying shame that current editions do not feature them. :cry:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Lawrie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Find-Outers, Malory Towers
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy, Alicia, Fatty and Bets

Post by Lawrie »

Yes, I think Tresilian is the best too. Beautiful detailed illustrations, which really reflect the text. Everything he draws looks just the way I picture it, and sometimes if I'm having trouble visualising something, he does it for me perfectly.
BOB

Post by BOB »

While I agree that Stuart Tresililan is by far the best of the Blyton illustrators, I could never understand why he always depicted Kiki the parrot as a cockatoo. A parrot looks nothing like a cockatoo.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Especially when you read Enid's description of Kiki in the first title!
Society Member
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

Although in the 2010 edition the description has been changed to match the illustrations.
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
DelilahFP
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki

Post by DelilahFP »

BOB wrote:While I agree that Stuart Tresililan is by far the best of the Blyton illustrators, I could never understand why he always depicted Kiki the parrot as a cockatoo. A parrot looks nothing like a cockatoo.
Hear hear - by far the very best of the best! I do not think there is a problem with the illustrations matching the actual date of the original stories - I used to read my mother's childhood story books and I loved the old fashioned feel! I still could dream I was amongst Bunty of the Blackbirds etc..

As for Kiki - the drawn personage seems to suit the descriptions of her chatting away and her affection for those she loved. I was surprised when I read EB's description of Kiki, as an adult - I am afraid it had not registered when I first read the books, I was clearly overly excited by all that was going on to think too deeply about it! (In fact, the only thing I ever questioned were the toilet requirements - especially when certain characters got themselves locked up! No doubt that is another topic!)

Of course, a cockatoo would be easier to be hidden than a full-blown Amazon parrot - and certainly it would be extremely difficult to get such a parrot into a basket for trips on aeroplanes and ships - so I can forgive the 'mistake' in this case!
BOB

Post by BOB »

The toilet question is an interesting one and it's not only children's authors that gloss over it. Many 'quality' adult authors, too, have their characters tied up for hours on end without a thought that they may need to go the loo. However, it's Kiki's toilet requirements that intrigue me (although I never gave it a thought as a child): can you imagine the state that the shoulders of Jack's jumpers or coats must be in after having a parrot sitting on them all day! Ugh!
yarvelling

Post by yarvelling »

BOB wrote:The toilet question is an interesting one and it's not only children's authors that gloss over it. Many 'quality' adult authors, too, have their characters tied up for hours on end without a thought that they may need to go the loo. However, it's Kiki's toilet requirements that intrigue me (although I never gave it a thought as a child): can you imagine the state that the shoulders of Jack's jumpers or coats must be in after having a parrot sitting on them all day! Ugh!
Many years ago, I owned a white cockatiel (with the yellow head and blushing pink cheeks!) called Oliver. The mess in the house (I let him fly free most of the time, except for when I was at work, or at night - didn't want him getting into any trouble or difficulties!) was quite extensive; droppings and feathers that always needed cleaning up, however, I found that he was very good and well behaved if he landed on and perched on me! :) Hardly ever any little deposits, so I rather think that the parrot family are smart enough to not poop on their owners/companions by choice - they obviously know that it wouldn't be nice!! :D A kind of friendship/respect concept that must be pretty unique! :)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Ah yes - I remember you telling us about Oliver. It's lovely that he was able to fly free most of the time. I always loved the idea of Kiki not being tethered or caged.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
yarvelling

Post by yarvelling »

Ming wrote:Stuart Tresilian's illustrations were undoubtedly the best for any adventure/mystery story, but my personal favourite was Mary Gernat's work in The Six Bad Boys. Mary's illustrations seem very much in period - set in the correct time, place, etc.

Interesting information, Tony and Eddie.
Ming, I've never seen that book before!! Nor the illustrations... I just looked it up in the 'cave'. It sounds a very, erm... interesting read!! :D I'll have to have a look on Ebay ;)
The illustrations are terrific! I had no idea that Mary Gernat was that good; I've only ever seen her drawings on the covers of some of the paperbacks, and she also illustrated the covers of the 60's Billy Bunter paperbacks, but I never did like those.... they always looked rather amateurish to me - even when i was a youngster; they always looked a bit 'hurried', and scrappy, and never resembled the illustrations from the original artist inside the book!!
However, these are very nice; detailed, carefully drawn, and full of character and atmosphere! :)
Thanks for bringing these to my rather belated attention!! :D
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

Picking up a very old thread here, but I just wanted to add how brilliant I thought Stuart Tresilian was as an illustrator. I ended up buying 7 of the Adventure Series (not the River book as I thought that was dreadful) - all hardbacks and illustrated by Stuart Tresilian. His style and detail really enhance the stories. Such a shame that modern editions either don't have any illustrations, or have that dreadful cartoon style I noticed in the Secret Seven books in WHSmiths. His illustrations add to the depth of these books.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I agree, Irene (except that I like The River of Adventure!) Of all Enid Blyton's illustrators, I think Stuart Tresilian is my favourite. His striking illustrations capture the mood of the story and help sweep the reader into the world of the book.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

Hi Anita thanks for that. Unfortunately I disliked the River of Adventure so much that I have only ever got it out of the library and not seen Stuart Tresilian's illustrations. If I can pick up a cheap copy with his illustrations I might buy it and then I have the whole set.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !