Eileen Soper or Betty Maxey?

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Escanor
Favourite book/series: Five Get into a Fix / Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Colin

Re: Eileen Soper or Betty Maxey?

Post by Escanor »

pete9012S wrote:Despite the undying universal love of everyone towards Eileen Soper,I was surprised to read that:
It was not until 1941 that her career as a book illustrator took off when the publishers Macmillan suggested her name to Enid Blyton , firstly for a series of Nature Readers. But it was the commission to illustrate Five on a Treasure Island , presumably made at Blyton’s insistence, that made Soper’s name. She went on to illustrate 35 books for Blyton over 25 years. The two were never to meet and it was reported by Eileen’s friends that she considered the illustrations of Blyton’s books “hack work” and “a chore”. She also complained that the author was a menace, in that she demanded “footling changes in drawings that were already adequate”.
http://www.blytonbooks.co.uk/articles/soper.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know how much truth there is in all that,and I also have no idea how Betty Maxey felt about illustrating The Famous Five for the Knight editions?
That was umm... interesting. :? Soper really did a great amount of drawings though. Still, I thought they had a good relationship. Now I'm curious about Maxey too.
Fab5

Post by Fab5 »

They are all magical, but i think i prefer the Eileen Soper books... :mrgreen:
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Enid Blyton - Five Are Together Again

Eileen Soper & Betty Maxey Illustration Comparison

http://share.pho.to/9OQjw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think these illustrations make it clear that neither were at their best in this book - but for me Eileen Soper definitely gets my vote, despite usually being quite a fan of Maxey. The only Soper illustration I feel is inferior is the picture of the monkey in the cage.

Maxey's cover is definitely the best of the two, in my opinion. I've always loved it - the shadows of the leaves on the tent are exquisite.

But Maxey's penchant for drawing 'ape men' instead of monkey's makes me smile - awful!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

A very interesting comparison. I do agree that neither Betty Maxey or Eileen Soper were at their best whilst illustrating this book, but personally I think it is plain to see how much more skilled and effective Soper's illustrations are when they are side by side with Betty Maxey's interpretations. There is so much more detail and liveliness in Soper's illustrations, whereas Maxey's are very plain and unimaginative.

Of these illustrations, my favourite is Eileen Soper's interpretation of Jenny, the housemaid, looking out of the window. I think it represents the same haunting, yet thrilling atmosphere which the text supplies. An exciting scene. :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Maxey's cover is certainly more atmospheric than Soper's. I grew up with the Maxey cover so it also strikes a chord there. But one need only look at the pictures of George rowing her boat towards Kirrin Island to see the immense difference in quality between the two. Soper's picture is full of atmosphere and suspense; Maxey's is just a flat line drawing of a person in a boat.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Lucky Star wrote:But one need only look at the pictures of George rowing her boat towards Kirrin Island to see the immense difference in quality between the two. Soper's picture is full of atmosphere and suspense; Maxey's is just a flat line drawing of a person in a boat.
Agreed. I was just thinking, the Soper picture is one of her most atmospheric, despite the relatively poor quality of her illustrations for this book in general.

Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree - at least it looks as if George is rowing across water in the Soper version. In Maxey's picture George might well have stranded her boat on a beach! It certainly doesn't look like water, mainly because not even the island has a reflection!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

All good points - but who get the moon right in their pics?
(Unless a lot of time passed between Eileen Soper's illustrations? :wink: )
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I too vote for Eileen Soper here (despite the moon mistake!) because of her more detailed, atmospheric backgrounds and her more carefully-drawn people.
Robert Houghton wrote:But Maxey's penchant for drawing 'ape men' instead of monkey's makes me smile - awful!
I feel exactly the opposite. In my opinion Betty Maxey's portrayals of the monkey and the chimpanzee are much more realistic than Eileen Soper's, though it's a pity they're sketchily-drawn and in some cases look unfinished. Unlike Soper, Maxey has got the general shape and look of a chimpanzee right and her cover picture shows how beautifully she can draw/paint them when she takes her time:

Her portrayal stands up well when we look at a real chimp (sorry but the photo is quite large so I can't include the actual image - only a link to it):

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8474/8379 ... b644_h.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Her monkey isn't bad either - I'd say it's identifiable as a squirrel monkey:

"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree her cover depiction is brilliant - in fact all Maxey's covers are great - proving what a good artist she was, but still think generally Soper's internal chimp illustrations are better. I still think the Maxey illustration of the chimp with the rolled up tent(?) is more like a picture of Big Foot!
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 21 May 2015, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I don't think it matters how many times you compare these two illustrators, the one you was brought up with is nearly always the winner. Maxey's drawings don't do anything for me although I agree that her monkey and chimp are quite lifelike.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

It's not a universal rule, as I've said before. I was brought up mainly with Maxey (and the '70s TV series, which I was a bit too young to follow, but was aware of it), but now her illustrations really don't grab me at all in comparison to Soper's.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

John Pickup wrote:I don't think it matters how many times you compare these two illustrators....Maxey's drawings don't do anything for me although I agree that her monkey and chimp are quite lifelike.
Have no fear, John, the pro-Maxey's will continue to peddle their preferences! :wink:
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Good grief, we're not having another election are we? :lol: :roll:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member