Your Favourite Blyton Illustrators

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
aljol

Post by aljol »

I can't say I've made a study of EB's illustrators, but I have to say that there is one who created a colourful magical world that has lasted in the memories of generations even when the words and stories have been forgotten. Van Beek.
beau99
Favourite character: Noddy

Re: Favourite illustrator

Post by beau99 »

Has to be Beek.

I may not have actually read the books, but I've seen plenty of his illustrations. They are magnificent.
Bridie
Favourite character: Loony!

Post by Bridie »

It obviously has to be Gilbert Dunlop for moi! :wink:
Twa plein bridies an' an ingin ane an' a'
paul kaye

Re: Favourite illustrators

Post by paul kaye »

Robert Houghton wrote:I quite agree noddy 13. Paul Kaye's photos are brilliant. Quite how he got the animals to 'pose' for them so wonderfully is a mystery. I guess people nowadays would suggest it was cruel - but I think they're fantastic.
Cruel? - Moi? The models that were used to illustrate the three Enid Blyton books were, I promise you, taken while giving every respect to the models' wishes. Indeed, they became quite spoilt by the end of the sessions! I discovered early on that if you give any animal love, care, plenty of attention and rest when needed, it will, in return, give unconditionally. My thanks to you and Nobby 13 for your kind words. Paul Kaye.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Favourite illustrators

Post by Rob Houghton »

paul kaye wrote:
Robert Houghton wrote:I quite agree noddy 13. Paul Kaye's photos are brilliant. Quite how he got the animals to 'pose' for them so wonderfully is a mystery. I guess people nowadays would suggest it was cruel - but I think they're fantastic.
Cruel? - Moi? The models that were used to illustrate the three Enid Blyton books were, I promise you, taken while giving every respect to the models' wishes. Indeed, they became quite spoilt by the end of the sessions! I discovered early on that if you give any animal love, care, plenty of attention and rest when needed, it will, in return, give unconditionally. My thanks to you and Nobby 13 for your kind words. Paul Kaye.
Hi Paul: good to hear from you!

I'm very glad to hear that, and didnt really doubt it for a minute. All the Mischief books are so very clever, and I treasure them all, as a big cat lover, and an Enid Blyton fan. Brilliant! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's lovely to hear from you, Paul. Did you ever get to meet Enid Blyton? Your memories of working on the books might possibly make a nice article for our thrice-yearly Enid Blyton Society Journal.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Re: Favourite Illustrator

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Anita is absolutely right, Paul. We would love to know more about Tinker and Floppy, and just how you managed to get all those great photos. It would make a very nice article.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I did PM Paul, Tony, and he seemed quite keen on writing an article at some point, though he stressed he was very busy at the moment. I suggested he contact you if he was interested. 8)

I agree it would be a very interesting article, as the photos of Mischief etc are so cleverly done. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Robert Houghton wrote:I agree it would be a very interesting article, as the photos of Mischief etc are so cleverly done. 8)
I wasn't having a senior moment this time, Rob, the kitten's name is actually Tinker and you will see I have it in the Cave under Tinker. The title of that book is simply implying that Tinker and Floppy are up to mischief!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Robert Houghton wrote:I agree it would be a very interesting article, as the photos of Mischief etc are so cleverly done. 8)
I wasn't having a senior moment this time, Rob, the kitten's name is actually Tinker and you will see I have it in the Cave under Tinker. The title of that book is simply implying that Tinker and Floppy are up to mischief!

Tony: yes: I have no excuse: the senior moment is mine this time. :( I even own all three books, and I still convinced myself the kitten was called Mischief, due to the title 'Mischief Again', (the second book?) I had mistakenly 'remembered' that the title was the name of the kitten!! :oops: This sort of thing is happening more and more as I come up to 40!! :roll:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Re: Your Favourite Blyton Illustrators

Post by Francis »

Merged with an earlier topic.

As a young boy I was first attracted to reading by seeing the wonderful illustrations by van der Beek in the Noddy books. Apart from Bestall's Rupert they were my favourite drawings -coming at a very impressionable age. They proved a gateway into the wonderful stories by Enid Blyton. Subsequently Stuart Tresilian's illustrations for the Adventure series and Eileen Soper's for the Famous Five books attracted me into reading exciting and adventuress stories that consolidated her hold over my imagination. These three illustrators are still my favourites.

Do others agree with my selection or do they have other Blyton illustrators that have influenced them.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I see that ten years ago I picked Stuart Tresilian and Grace Lodge as my favourites. They're still at the top for me, but I'd add Rene Cloke as well for her enchanting illustrations in some of the Dean & Son books - e.g. the Naughtiest Girl series, Faraway Tree and Wishing-Chair series, Pink-Whistle stories and Meddle stories, among others.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Extraordinary how many talented illustrators Enid picked to illustrate her books - just shows how seriously she took regarded the necessity of having high quality pictures in her books and on the covers.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I haven't checked to see who I suggested earlier, or even if I did, but my favourite EB illustrators are definitely Grace Lodge, Stuart Tresilian, Beek, Lilian Buchanan, Derek Lucas and Rene Cloke. I know some might say I'm a bit of a philistine but I much prefer Rene Cloke's depiction of Moonface to that of Dorothy Wheeler. :oops:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Stuart Tresilian by far — and I only discovered his illustrations last year! :D But I also love Dorothy Wheeler (another recent discovery), Horace Knowles (for The Land of Far-Beyond) and Rene Cloke... and my childhood just wouldn't have been the same without Noddy, who of course wouldn't have been who he is without Harmsen van der Beek. 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)