Gilbert Dunlop - Illustrator

Enid used many illustrators in her books. Discuss them here.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Gilbert Dunlop - Illustrator

Post by Chrissie777 »

yarvelling wrote:What a brilliant idea!! :)
I'd be interested to see what the map looks like :)
Hello yarvelling,

I don't know how to download pics, otherwise I would have taken a photo for you.
When I checked amazon.co.uk, there was only a part of the picture.
So I checked amazon.de. The first link is the right end of the map:

http://www.amazon.de/L%C3%BCgenlandscha ... 987&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the 2nd link is the left part. It shows the monk on the right side which you can barely see on the upper picture on the left side:

http://www.amazon.de/L%C3%BCgenlandscha ... landschaft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The figure in the red robe on the far left is supposed to be Charon (I think he's the boat man from the Styx river) from the Greek mythology. All these figures on the painting are from the Greek mythology and together they are the keys to where the treasure is hidden.
Unfortunately the book is out of print, but can get ordered used for less than 1 £ at amazon.co.uk. I can highly recommend to get the hardcover copy which has a fold out map inside the book (the one that I copied and framed). The paperback copy has the same painting as a cover on the front and back, but smaller and no fold out map inside.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Landscape-Lies- ... pe+of+lies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This crime novel is fascinating from the first to the last page. One of my favorites.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
yarvelling
Favourite book/series: Adventure, FF, and Barney/R series
Favourite character: Loony and Kiki

Post by yarvelling »

Thanks Chrissie :) Beautiful artwork! I didn't expect medieval style I must admit.... I do like that style though :) I know very little about, but am very interested in those far off days long gone; the architecture is wonderful.
I'm curious though.... the first link you provided shows a man to the left, on his back, looking slightly inebriated, with a tree growing out of his stomach..... what on Earth??? :shock: They did paint some strange stuff back then!!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

A great book - the 1st review on amazon is mine..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Landscape-Lies- ... pe+of+lies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

yarvelling wrote:Thanks Chrissie :) Beautiful artwork! I didn't expect medieval style I must admit.... I do like that style though :) I know very little about, but am very interested in those far off days long gone; the architecture is wonderful.
I'm curious though.... the first link you provided shows a man to the left, on his back, looking slightly inebriated, with a tree growing out of his stomach..... what on Earth??? :shock: They did paint some strange stuff back then!!
Yarvelling, even though the painting is old, it's a story which takes place in todays time. The man with the tree growing out of his stomach is also part of Greek mythology as are the other figures on the painting.
So-called landscapes of lies were a common art a few centuries ago. They usually pointed to something else.
It's suspenseful and at the same time a fun read.
You can't help but learning a bit about Greek mythology while reading the book.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock