Website Additions

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Website Additions

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I have continued my revamping of some of the early Newnes books and I have now added a Book History as well. I have done Adventures of the Wishing-Chair as well as I can, but I do not have the 3rd edition with the white surrounds for the dustwrapper (similar to Mr. Galliano's Circus) and I may replace the 2nd edition image at some stage. I have included information about the later abridging.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... hing-Chair" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have also done The Adventurous Four and Hurrah For the Circus!.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... urous+Four" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book-det ... +Circus%21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More to come! :roll:
Interesting details, Tony, and it's lovely to see the illustrated spines.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:It's great to see so many people wanting to write blurbs! :D

Here's the new list:

Courtenay - Adventure series and Galliano's Circus series
Julie - Find-Outers series, Secret Seven series, The Boy Next Door and The Treasure Hunters.
Poppy - Famous Five series
Walter - Secret series
Robert - Barney series, Caravan Family series and Faraway Tree series
Farwa - Malory Towers series and Adventurous Four books.
Stef - St. Clare's series and Birds of Our Gardens.
Fiona - Six Cousins books, The Family at Red-Roofs, Hollow Tree House, The Put-Em-Rights, House-at-the-Corner and Those Dreadful Children.

Let me know if I've accidentally missed anyone or anything out!

The ones in bold are already loaded. Tony
Many thanks to all who have contributed thus far, we now have 74 blurbs up in the Cave!
I had to go back over two years to find this post, but I spent all day yesterday in the Cave and noticed that some of the books that I was adding things to (Secret Series, Adventurous Four and Naughtiest Girl) didn't yet have blurbs. I don't suppose that any of the above are going to provide the missing blurbs as they have either disappeared or are too busy writing Blyton posts elsewhere and have no interest in any additions to this website. So if anyone wants to fill anything in please feel free, but I quite understand if it is only me who has a possibly pointless masochistic desire to improve the Cave! ( a Naughtiest Girl wrapper looked great on my shelf, but the scan didn't agree and it took me four hours to repair it! :cry: ).
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I will get round to writing the Caravan family blurbs at some point - keep forgetting - although I'm well aware that the Caravan Family books are hardly up there with some of the better known titles! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

As I have written the review of Hollow tree House, I would be more than happy to write a blurb, Tony. I will attend to it later - if I'm not stepping on Fiona's toes.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Not at all, please go ahead Nigel. I've got enough on my plate preparing for the baby!

I recently wrote a lot about Those Dreadful Children on the blog though so I will try to do a blurb for that one at least.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Thanks to Fiona who has provided blurbs for four books as can be seen in bold on the list above.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Good blurbs, whetting the appetite without giving too much away.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I have just given the Magazine Annuals a makeover, adding two missing wraparound wrappers and all the Famous Five and Secret Seven illustrations.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... ineannuals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It took me just under 12 hours to do this spread over five days and I also spent over 12 hours adding things from the five Sunny Stories for 80 years ago, but this was also over five days. There are a few forum members who look at everything and I am grateful to them for doing so, but I think it is time that I 'got a life' and I have therefore decided not to add anything else for the foreseeable future, apart from anything new that might be sent to me which I will always add.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Nice wrappers to those books, Tony. Two of my books have dust jackets and two haven't, so it's nice to see the wrappers I don't have.

:)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Those magazine annuals are amazing Tony especially the first two. Truly Grace Lodge was a beautiful illustrator.

I'm sorry you will be taking a break from your cave labours but I think that if ever anyone deserved a break it is you. The Cave is surely the greatest bibliography in existance, I have certainly never ever come across any other author whose work has been chronicled with such in depth precision and dedication.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree the wrap-arounds for the Magazine Annuals are beautiful. I have all the annuals with very good wrappers - but its still great to see them in all their splendour in The Cave!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I don't have any of the magazine annuals but I've seen a couple at book fairs rather expensively priced. The wraparound wrappers are wonderful. Thanks for adding them, Tony.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Lucky Star wrote:I'm sorry you will be taking a break from your cave labours but I think that if ever anyone deserved a break it is you. The Cave is surely the greatest bibliography in existance, I have certainly never ever come across any other author whose work has been chronicled with such in depth precision and dedication.
Hear, hear! The Cave is truly a Cave of Wonders and a phenomenal amount of work goes into making it such an incredible record of all things Blyton. We don't always appreciate how long these things take, Tony, but it's clear that your attention to detail is second to none. You certainly need to have time to relax and switch off from Cave concerns though!

I've got all four Magazine Annuals but none of them have dustwrappers so it's super to see them in all their glory. Beautiful work by Grace Lodge. It's great to have the endpaper games in the Cave too, and the Famous Five and Secret Seven illustrations.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I have all the annuals but none have dustwrappers. They are really lovely - so bright and lively. Thanks Tony.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I see that there are several of these annuals with wrappers on ebay at prices ranging from £8 to over £20.
Society Member