New Weekly Serial

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: New Weekly Serial

Post by Rob Houghton »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Dinah Cunningham wrote:If you want a Series of which I would love to read a Serial about it would be the Adventure-Series as the are my favorite...and I would love to read more about them!
Me, too!!! :D
For me, this would be a difficult one to write. They are always very big and broad and full of very strong characterisations. A big task to try to emulate that - because when I write my EB follow on books I make a great effort to write in Enid's style, as well as using similar themes etc. I'd have to really study the Adventure series in order to get the narrative voice right.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sadly the Adventure Series would be out of my league, too. I've read the books, and enjoy them, but they don't grab me the same as Find-Outers and Secret Seven or Barney Mysteries. :)

I think if you're trying to write in Blyton style and keep the characters as Enid did and get them to say what you think Enid would have had them say, then you have to be fully comfortable with that series of books. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

Well, I still hope one of you might try your hand at writing a Adventure-Serial.

In the meanwhile I enjoy reading the Serials that are already written.

Thank a lot for your effort!
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: I think if you're trying to write in Blyton style and keep the characters as Enid did and get them to say what you think Enid would have had them say, then you have to be fully comfortable with that series of books. :)
I agree. That's why I wrote a Barney continuation, because I know the Barney books inside out so I found it very easy to write.
I wouldn't be able to write FFO because I don't know them as well.
I'd have a go at FF or SS though, and I've got a Secret Series one partly done, although I'm not sure if I lost that when my laptop broke, I've not bothered to look at my flash drive to see if its backed up on there or not.

Dinah, I've got an Adventure book planned out. I know the Adventure books even better than the Barney ones, Adventure is definitely my most-read and favourite series. :)

I'll let you know when I've started it, maybe I'll start it within the next couple of weeks. :)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Carlotta King wrote: Dinah, I've got an Adventure book planned out. I know the Adventure books even better than the Barney ones, Adventure is definitely my most-read and favourite series. :)

I'll let you know when I've started it, maybe I'll start it within the next couple of weeks. :)
It better not be set in Australia, Cathy, or you'll be stealing my thunder. :mrgreen: :P (Only kidding... well, sort of. I would LOVE to write an Adventure series continuation book set in my native country, but I have very few ideas at all for a plot, and don't have the time to focus on something like that just now anyway. :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote: I would LOVE to write an Adventure series continuation book set in my native country, but I have very few ideas at all for a plot, and don't have the time to focus on something like that just now anyway. :wink: )
Maybe you'll be inspired after your upcoming trip to Australia! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

No its not set in Australia - I don't known enough about Aus to make it authentic.
Its set in Egypt. I've never been there either, haha, but ancient Egypt has always been a fascination of mine so I know plenty about it, both ancient and modern, so I can probably get by!

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

The Pyramids of Adventure!! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Ooh - Egypt would make a great setting. Alluring and intriguing.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I do hope you write it, Cathy, it would make a great read for the serials. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

Carlotta King wrote: Dinah, I've got an Adventure book planned out. I know the Adventure books even better than the Barney ones, Adventure is definitely my most-read and favourite series. :)

You would certainly make my day!!! :D I hope that you can start writing an Adventure-Serial as soon as you have time and inspiration.
Courtenay wrote:It better not be set in Australia, Cathy, or you'll be stealing my thunder. :mrgreen: :P (Only kidding... well, sort of. I would LOVE to write an Adventure series continuation book set in my native country, but I have very few ideas at all for a plot, and don't have the time to focus on something like that just now anyway. :wink: )
Well I do hope that you may get some more ideas about a plot and time to write an Adventure-Serial! As said above it would certainly make my day!

There are fortunately or unfortunately very few Serials (new storys) about the Adventure-Series available. As they are my favorites, it's a pity, but then when I look at all the german FF I have to admit that some of them are really bad.
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Carlotta King wrote:
Julie2owlsdene wrote: I think if you're trying to write in Blyton style and keep the characters as Enid did and get them to say what you think Enid would have had them say, then you have to be fully comfortable with that series of books. :)
I agree. That's why I wrote a Barney continuation, because I know the Barney books inside out so I found it very easy to write.
So, are we going to see it on the website?
Society Member
Carlotta King

Post by Carlotta King »

No, it's on Fiona's Blyton blog (well half of it anyway, as my laptop broke and I couldn't write the rest!) so there's no point putting it anywhere else when it can be read for free there.

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Rob Houghton wrote:For me, this would be a difficult one to write. They are always very big and broad and full of very strong characterisations. A big task to try to emulate that - because when I write my EB follow on books I make a great effort to write in Enid's style, as well as using similar themes etc. I'd have to really study the Adventure series in order to get the narrative voice right.
I might mix up the forumite's name now, but thought that Poppy was thinking about writing another Adventure sequel? This was probably in 2015 when we talked about it in one of the EBS threads.

As I prefer the European locations (especially the ones set in the UK like "Sea", "Castle" and "Island"), I would love to read something set either in the UK or maybe in France (they have so many fortresses which theoretically could have an underground tunnel...Leonardo DaVinci's house Clos Lucé in Amboise

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clos_Luc%C3%A9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

had a 500 meters long underground tunnel built before 1519 and connecting it to the King's castle) or possibly taking place on one of the Channel Islands? Possibly Francis might have some ideas to contribute. He loves Guernsey.

Or how about a big cave system?
The Ardèche River near Avignon would also make a fascinating location.
While at boarding school in the Black Forrest, I spent the Easter vacations of 1974 doing white water rafting with my canoe group at a campground near Vallon Pont d'Arc for 2 weeks.
The area has many cave systems. Shortly before you reach St. Martin d'Ardèche (our destination on most days via canoe), there are more caves on the left side high up in the cliffs. Way back then hippies lived in these caves which were waving to us while we paddled by.

In a new documentary on Jean-Louis Trintignant's life, he mentioned that he and his brother lived for several months in these caves when their parents (who were active in the French Résistance in WW II) were arrested.

The documentary "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" by Werner Herzog about the newly found/discovered Cave de Chauvet (sp?) was filmed near Pont d'Arc which is a natural arch bridging over (right term?) the river Ardèche.
Here's a link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_d%27Arc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Carlotta King wrote:No, it's on Fiona's Blyton blog (well half of it anyway, as my laptop broke and I couldn't write the rest!) so there's no point putting it anywhere else when it can be read for free there.
Personally, I would want the results of my hard work to reach the widest audience (with all due respect to the Blog) and would think the Society website has the largest number of visitors. Although follow-on fiction on enidblyton.net is available without a subscription, I am not sure that many people read the stories on there. I only see 2 or 3 people commenting on Blog posts (that isn't to say that thousands aren't looking at it, of course) and nobody comments on eb.net!
Society Member