New Weekly Serial

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Weekly Serials - Malory Towers and Hazel Dene Cottage

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Moonraker wrote:
That doesn't mean I'm happy to be her grandfather! :evil:
There's a very good answer to that!! :lol:

Nigel in yet another fan-fic. That will really go to his head. He's already been in two of mine!! :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

And wasn't I a great character? Enid would've loved me! [swollen-head smilie]
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Moonraker wrote:Ming and I would be honoured to feature in your epic, Pete! Just remember our age gap if you intend any romantic plotlines! :oops:

That doesn't mean I'm happy to be her grandfather! :evil:
Permission granted. (To feature in the story, that is, not in a romance!)

Of course you can't be my grandfather! You could be that genial old neighbour who everyone is fond of because he has the grandest of stories to tell! :lol:
Julie wrote: Nigel in yet another fan-fic. That will really go to his head. He's already been in two of mine!!
I must have missed that one - which stories? :?

Looking forward to the next chapter, Julie. :D

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Ming wrote:
Looking forward to the next chapter, Julie. :D
Cheers, Ming.

The stories in which Nigel features, Ming, are number 14. The Little Theatre Revisited, (he plays himself) and in the last one, number 15, A Most Eventful Birthday, he bumps into Daisy whilst at the hospital. This one also features, Anita, Tony, Eddie and Chick. :)

8)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote: Of course you can't be my grandfather! You could be that genial old neighbour who everyone is fond of because he has the grandest of stories to tell! :lol:
Imagine me as The Doctor, and you as my travelling companion! My two hearts are beating wildly at the thought of it!
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I have just printed part three of The Mystery of Hazel Dene Cottage, Julie and, as tempted as I am to read each chapter on a weekly basis, I have decided to wait until I have the complete story and then read it in its entirety. This means I shall have a treat to look forward to when the story reaches its conclusion in May. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

What self-control Eddie! I'm eagerly reading each chapter as it appears. :lol:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Daisy wrote:What self-control Eddie! I'm eagerly reading each chapter as it appears. :lol:

Self control indeed, Eddie. I'm reading it each week and I know what happens! :lol: :lol:

8)

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog

Post by Eddie Muir »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: Self control indeed, Eddie. I'm reading it each week and I know what happens! :lol: :lol:
8)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

I think, on the whole, I prefer to wait until I have something complete before I start reading it. I think if I were to read it bit by bit over a long time I would end up having to waste too much time re-reading earlier parts to remind myself of what's recently happened.
     This prompts me to ask: if the whole story is already written, why release it bit by bit, anyway? Why not just post it entire, all at once? Is there a specific reason for doing it chapter by chapter over half a year or something?

In fact, I don't always read things immediately after they are complete. I don't seem to like reading long things on a screen, and I really want to print anything out on paper before trying to read it - and that is something I haven't yet found time to figure out how to do. (Believe me - it's not from lack of interest - just lack of organization.) It might seem simple to print it out; but when you save a web page, not only the main text is included, but all the various links and other stuff too; and I think, if I am going to print out something to read, I would prefer to edit out those parts from the file first - so that will make it a bit fiddly to do.
     I can't quite tell whether this is really because I do find it harder to read on a computer, or whether it's a psychological thing, perhaps resulting from my belief that screens are harder to read. But, whatever the reason, i do find it easier to get involved in something if I have it on paper. Maybe it's partly because it's easier to handle physically, and you don't have to worry about whether you'll break or drop some device you are reading on. And sometimes if I'm reading I take it with me to read while waiting to eat a meal or in a doctor's waiting room; and I really don't feel inclined to take a laptop to places like that.
     Then, of course, if I print anything long out, it's just a stack of loose pages, not a neatly-bound book - and that does make it a bit harder - but still a lot easier than manipulating some device, and trying not to bump it or spill anything on it. (Although I never seem to have a problem with spilling anything on books.) I think there are fancy ways of binding a whole stack of pages, but I don't know how to do things like that.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

MJE wrote:     I think, on the whole, I prefer to wait until I have something complete before I start reading it. I think if I were to read it bit by bit over a long time I would end up having to waste too much time re-reading earlier parts to remind myself of what's recently happened.
     This prompts me to ask: if the whole story is already written, why release it bit by bit, anyway? Why not just post it entire, all at once? Is there a specific reason for doing it chapter by chapter over half a year or something?

Regards, Michael.
There is a very specific reason for doing it as a serial, Michael, as this is exactly how Enid Blyton did it originally in Sunny Stories with so many of her books. The big difference here is that you get one chapter a week, whilst with Sunny Stories you had to wait two weeks for the next chapter!

Like you, I am not too good at reading a whole book on my computer (though you can do this with the 11 complete books that we have on the website), I spend quite long enough each day staring at the screen anyway, but with just one chapter at a time to read I find it quite digestible. I don't find a week is too long to remember something, but I admit I do have a problem in a series of books where one follows straight on from the previous one but is published a year later!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

MJE wrote:  I really want to print anything out on paper before trying to read it - and that is something I haven't yet found time to figure out how to do.
Copy & Paste on to Word, or another writing program, then print it off, and bind the pages in a plastic folder.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Why can't you just press 'print' Michael. That's all I do. I just bring up the latest chapter as it appears each week and press print.

8)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Why can't you just press 'print' Michael. That's all I do. I just bring up the latest chapter as it appears each week and press print.
I c&p to a word document, otherwise you get all the ads that appear down the side of the page. I can then also alter the font/size to my own preferences.
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

I'm off to read another chapter of “Hazel Dene cottage”!
Something to look forward to on a Monday.