Scan Kidnapping!

What would you like to see? All feedback and suggestions appreciated!
Tony Summerfield

Scan Kidnapping!

Post by Tony Summerfield »

It annoys me when I see my scans sitting on another website when they haven't asked if they can use them. In this instance the guilty party is Polyvore who even talk about The Enchanted Forest. :twisted:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Scan Kidnapping!

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I don't blame you, Tony. I see it does say Enid Blyton Society, so I gather they've just come along scanned what they wanted and used them without permission.

How do you get to know who is using your site in this way, Tony?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Quite understndable that you are annoyed, Tony. With all the work you put into the society and its website(s), you have every reson to be.

Especially as you normally don't mind people using your scans and things AFTER they have asked... .

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I fully understand your annoyance, Tony. You have every right to aggrieved!
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Dick Kirrin wrote:Especially as you normally don't mind people using your scans and things AFTER they have asked... .
Fully agree.

Is it possible to sue, Tony? :P

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am sure it isn't, Ming, but I wouldn't bother it was possible. I guess it is possible that my scans are being used in plenty of places, I just stumbled on this one by accident when I was looking for something else. It actually quite amuses me that if you put in a Google search for Famous Five images, it is all the images on enidblyton.net that come up and not the Society ones. The bit that amuses me is the fact that they are all taken from our site in the first place as they are all my scans - but it is fun to read people's comments telling Keith what a wonderful collection he has!! :lol:
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Yes, the swiping of one's work (be it scanning or whatever) without permission being sought, or acknowledgement being made, would seem to be - at one and the same time - outrageous theft, belittling treatment.....and unintended compliment. :shock: A mixed bag indeed.

Which reminds me, Tony, that I've got a leetle request to make...but it can wait until after EB day + a decent interval for you to recover from same....

'Aurélien Arkadiusz' :)
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Some people or maybe several of them, presume that once something is published on the Internet, it falls into the public domain realm, which means it can be used or re-used, anyhow, which is not always the case. Thus, that explains why some websites categorically and explicitly suggest that if one wants to use their online material, they need to expressively seek permission of the website owner or administrator.
Stephen I.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Do you not mean the publick. domain.?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member