Tony's Bibliographies - 'only' £509.85 for the set!!

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Tony's Bibliographies - 'only' £509.85 for the set!!

Post by pete9012S »

Amazing how some copies are much expensive than those still available to buy from the cave!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENID-BLYTON- ... 1c82c9d808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And another - mind you,it's a 1st edition and is signed.Does that mean it will be in colour?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listi ... d&qid=&sr=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do the colour editions have any differences on the front cover to differentiate them from the black and white illustrated editions?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Amazing indeed, Pete. :shock:

I have the four black and white versions and regularly refer to these superb reference books. :D

I imagine the full-colour versions have the same covers as the black and white ones, but I’m not really sure.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Looking at the original link I posted, yes, the coloured editions have exactly the same covers as the black and white editions. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:I often find them useful, especially for original prices of books etc - a detail that isn't included in the cave. :D
Eddie Muir wrote:I have the four black and white versions and regularly refer to these superb reference books. :D
I find Tony's An Illustrated Bibliography Parts 1-4 very useful too, especially when I'm delving into the history of a book in order to write an article on it for the Journal. As well as showing the cover and giving the original price, each listing includes the month and year of publication, the size of the book, the number of pages, details of boards and endpapers, etc. and dates of magazine serialisation if applicable. To give just one example for people who haven't seen the bibliographies, here is the entry for Five Go Down to the Sea:

Hodder & Stoughton
Five Go Down to the Sea (Famous Five 12) (September 10) 7/6 (7 1/2 x 5) (191 pages)
Red cloth boards with title in black on spine and front, with a dustwrapper (ill. Eileen A. Soper)
(pictorial endpapers printed in navy blue and black with eight illustrations printed in two colours, 4 red and black, and 4 blue and black) (1 story - 19 chapters - originally serialised in Enid Blyton's Magazine March 18th-November 25th 1953 [No. 1, Vol 1-No. 19, Vol 1])
(notes: The front flap of the 1st edition dustwrapper briefly describes the first eight books in the 'Fives' series and the back flap has books 9 to 11 and an advertisement for 'The Famous Five Card Game' by Pepys. Brockhampton Press took over the publishing in 1969. It was first published in the USA by Reilly & Lee in 1961, with illustrations by Frank Aloise)

Even though I don't collect first editions, I find the history of the books fascinating.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

pete9012S wrote:Amazing how some copies are much expensive than those still available to buy from the cave!

Do the colour editions have any differences on the front cover to differentiate them from the black and white illustrated editions?
I sold copies of Part 3 and Part 4 to one of our members in Sweden in July 2015 - nothing since! I rather shot myself in the foot when I put the Cave on the website as I have been lumbered with masses of copies of both these parts and needless to say I have made a thumping great loss, but at least this was just my problem and not the Society's.

The covers of both colour and black and white editions are the same, to have had different covers would have added quite a bit of extra expense. The coloured editions are all numbered on the title page as can be seen on the pics that Stella put up.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

They are excellent reference works.
Could they possibly be mentioned/promoted in the Journal each issue? That seems to attract serious collectors and maybe some of our newer members aren't aware of them.

Could also go down Enid's subliminal route too perhaps....

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

:lol:

The Land of Trump had come to the top of the Faraway Tree!

"Don't go there for a visit," warned Moon Face, "You'll find yourself in a horrible nightmare, and will never be able to wake up again!"
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: I find Tony's An Illustrated Bibliography Parts 1-4 very useful too, especially when I'm delving into the history of a book in order to write an article on it for the Journal. As well as showing the cover and giving the original price, each listing includes the month and year of publication, the size of the book, the number of pages, details of boards and endpapers, etc. and dates of magazine serialisation if applicable.
Yes - I often refer to Tony's bibliographies when writing a Journal article. I wouldn't be without them, even though we now have The Cave to delight us! :-) I use both.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Good one, Pete and Rob! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I do actually want all four of these but I'm not paying that price!! :shock: I intended to get them some point this year but the first one doesn't seem to be available, and until I find a copy of it, I'm holding off on the others.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶