Full set of 70s FF paperbacks

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Full set of 70s FF paperbacks

Post by IceMaiden »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENID-BLYTON- ... SwRUhY-2ev" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Full set of 70s FF paperbacks

Post by Courtenay »

Where's Pete?? :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
AlexH
Favourite book/series: The Faraway Tree & Famous Five
Favourite character: Saucepan Man

Post by AlexH »

I'd love to have those if I was rich and had a huge bookcase.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Courtenay wrote:Where's Pete?? :wink:
I bought a complete set just like that to bolster my collection not too long ago and sadly it only contained three or four Maxey editions.. :cry: :cry: :cry:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I know the feeling, Pete - I had ordered a whole set as well just to figure out first-hand why you are so bewitched by Maxey, but it also contained only a handful of Maxey books.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Wolfgang wrote: I had ordered a whole set as well just to figure out first-hand why you are so bewitched by Maxey,
Pete belongs to the Ministry of Lost Causes. That is why he supports Maxey, Wolfgang.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Wolfgang wrote: I had ordered a whole set...but it also contained only a handful of Maxey books.

You have my sympathies Wolfgang.

ImageImage

1978 Knight - all these 21 books contain illustrations by Betty Maxey, with covers from 1st TV Series

It is really quite frustrating Wolfgang, as the 1970's editions with the 1970's TV Famous Five on the cover always contain Maxey internals.

However, I never took to the 1970's TV Famous Five. Probably because I was bought the slightly earlier 1960's/70's Knight paperback books with the Betty Maxey front cover.

These 1960's/70's Knight paperback editions are most perplexing as the books can contain either Maxey or Soper artwork.
I love both illustrators equally and already possess a full set of Knight paperbacks illustrated by Eileen Soper.

It's collecting a full set of Knight paperbacks with Maxey internals that seems to be the greatest challenge!

ImageImage
Earlier Knight paperbacks containing either Maxey and soper illustrations within.

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I never realised some of the paperbacks have Eileen Soper internal illustrations, I thought she only did the hardbacks. Why have they not got her illustrations on the covers too to make it easier to differentiate? Although if you were buying and wanted one over the other, surely you'd only have to ask the seller to provide a picture to know if it was the illustrator you wanted or not :? .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Good logic. Sellers can be confused themselves,especially the large companies on ebay.

I've bought the above book three times now on ebay and although it was listed as Betty Maxey illustrated in the actual description a Soper illustrated book arrived.

Each seller has told me to just keep the book as it would be too much hassle to change and resend back etc.

I think when they go and get the book to send, the large organisations just pick the book to send based on the external illustration - or they don't update/check that the book's ebay listing description is correct.

It's happened with small sellers too.
The big sellers have now started saying their stock is too vast and stored at a separate location and it would be impractical for them to go and check inside a book...

The search goes on!

Here's an example that is still on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Five-Have-Ple ... SwJcZWc6H-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yet when the book arrived it contained Soper internals!

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

You may have a better luck if you buy the book individually from independent sellers on Ebay or Abebooks by asking them to send some photos of the internal illustrations. Don’t buy the books from the merchants( big companies) because the books are stored in various warehouses and the persons who are in charge of answering the customers’ questions could not check the physical books.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I agree with you sixret. I find individual private sellers often want too much for Maxey paperbacks that are not in the best of condition.

This seller seems to value Betty Maxey paperbacks at prices that even I would baulk at!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_odkw ... n&_sacat=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Sellers supply image of the book:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Sear ... srp-_-pics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The list of 269 Famous Five books published by Knight with Betty Maxey as illustrator as low as 73p. All you have to do is to go through the list and ask question.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Sear ... =2&tn=five" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The total of Famous Five books published by Knight:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Sear ... =2&tn=five" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Avoid merchants. You will know to differentiate between merchants and independent sellers after a while. Happy browsing, Pete! :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I have a Bertelsmann edition of "Fünf Freunde machen eine Entdeckung" 2 times, the inscription of both books is identical stating that the illustrations are done by Soper - but one of these books has illustrations done by Hennecke...
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Wolfgang wrote:I had ordered a whole set...but it also contained only a handful of Maxey books.
Count your blessings, Wolfgang; count your blessings.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Wolfgang wrote:I have a Bertelsmann edition of "Fünf Freunde machen eine Entdeckung" 2 times, the inscription of both books is identical stating that the illustrations are done by Soper - but one of these books has illustrations done by Hennecke...
Yes,that is exactly the problem I have experienced too Wolfgang.
You don't want to give the seller a bad review,but it is frustrating!

sixret wrote:Sellers supply image of the book:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Sear ... srp-_-pics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The list of 269 Famous Five books published by Knight with Betty Maxey as illustrator as low as 73p. All you have to do is to go through the list and ask question.

The total of Famous Five books published by Knight:

Avoid merchants. You will know to differentiate between merchants and independent sellers after a while. Happy browsing, Pete! :D
Many thanks sixret. You have given me a lot of alternative options via those links.

Best Wishes

Pete

Society Member