Adventures of The Wishing Chair first edition. Very scarce

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Adventures of The Wishing Chair first edition. Very scar

Post by Courtenay »

Well, I'm assuming about the modern copy — I haven't seen it myself, as I said. I'd also just rather have the thrill of owning an original edition of a rare book, when all's said and done. But preferably NOT a copy that's falling apart, that's all. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Adventures of The Wishing Chair first edition. Very scar

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Courtenay wrote:As I've already mentioned, there was at least one golliwog character whitewashed out of The Wishing-Chair Again (turned into a teddy bear), plus the fact that since the 1960s the final chapters of Adventures of the Wishing-Chair have been missing and apparently no-one noticed. I'm guessing that the omnibus edition doesn't reinstate them where they should be, but includes them as part of More Wishing-Chair Stories.

Yes, you're right that those chapters appear as part of More Wishing-Chair Stories in the Dean omnibus edition. I can't remember whether the golliwogs have been removed and my copy isn't easy to access so I'm afraid I can't check.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member