The Three Golliwogs with dust jacket in good condition.

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

The Three Golliwogs with dust jacket in good condition.

Post by sixret »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENID-BLYTON-T ... G#shpCntId" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The price is reasonable and fair. The dustjacket is in good condition. Although the book is a library discard but its good dustjacket alone can fetch the high price. The dustjacket has no chips, no closed tear, no wrinkle, no smudge, unclipped price. Only a small sticker that you can easily peel off yourself if you know how! In my opinion, the dustjacket is almost perfect. The dream of the true collector to own! You can always match the dustjacket with your own Three Golliwogs copy. It's a relatively difficult book to find online in a good dustjacket with fair price. Grab it while you can! This is YOUR time to have it! :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: The Three Golliwogs with dust jacket in good condition.

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes - I saw that one, and did 'watch' it for a while...but really, I felt it was a bit expensive - especially as I already have a first edition (without a wrapper) and the Dean version - much prefer Rene Cloke's illustrations and cover! Its a good book for anyone wanting a good condition dust jacket version though. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
o'malley

Post by o'malley »

Finally finished reading this copy today (once again thank you very much, sixret!) and (although VERY much a product of its time) I've enjoyed dipping into these stories off and on over the past few months (repetition less obvious this way). A lovely copy of a book out of print for good, I think.
Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Well done, Nicholas. Just looked at the link and I am a bit surprised that no other bid except yours. Definitely a bargain. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

yes - that's an amazingly good price! :-)

As a youngster I really, really really ;-) enjoyed 'the Three Golliwogs' and found each and every story highly amusing an entertaining - but as an adult I only see them as repetitive - a 'one joke' set of stories - but still pretty entertaining, especially if not read all at once, as you say, o'malley. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
o'malley

Post by o'malley »

This edition is the only copy I've ever had/read (missed this one as a child - like so many others!) and I was amazed/delighted to win it. The Dean, Rene Cloke edition, indeed looks like a fine book (many copies pop on on eBay, for example and always seem to sell well), was this altered from the start though? The Gollies names I would expect at least. Maybe one to pick up in the future?
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

yes - in even the earliest Dean edition, the golliwogs names have changed - to 'Wollie', "Wiggie' and 'Waggie' 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Sorry to contradict you Rob but I have the 1968 Dean edition and it still has the original names. I think the first edition with the altered names was in 1969 which had a laminated cover rather than a dustjacket.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am in agreement with Kate on this. My copy has no dates in it at all, there are 20 titles on the back of the wrapper and The Three Golliwogs is the last of these.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes - you are both quite right - when I said 'earliest Dean' I was talking about the original design - with the golliwogs outside their cottage, rather than the Deans that came later - in the 1980's and 1990's. The laminated board version is the one most likely to pop up on eBay for more reasonable prices (about £15) whilst the dust wrapper Dean can often sell for £40 at least!

I only have a laminated version, so didn't realise that the dust wrapper Dean version had the original names. That's interesting. It explains why sellers always ask ridiculous prices for it! I only have the original edition from the 1940's and the laminated cover Dean version myself. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
o'malley

Post by o'malley »

Hm, thank you for all the above information everyone! If the 1968 Dean is unaltered(?) from the original edition, yet the 1969 one onwards is changed (character names and text?), did children or their parents/guardians complain, I wonder?
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Interesting that Tony's copy is undated. Mine definitely has 1968 on the title page but it doesn't have a dj so I can't check if there were only 20 Dean Rewards listed on the back. Was there a reprint with original text within that year?
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

My mistake, my book has got 1968 on the title page! :oops: I have never paid all that much attention to dates in the Dean books as they are notoriously unreliable, but it looks from Rob's book as if the text was changed in 1969. I think that a book published in 1969 would still have had cloth boards and a dustwrapper as I am fairly certain that there were no Dean laminated books published before 1971. I have a copy of Tales of Toyland with a Rene Cloke dustwrapper which lists 33 titles on the back including all the 1971 laminated titles - The Enchanted Wood etc. It even has a price of 15 NP on the front flap and I have always believed that this was the very last Dean to have a wrapper, it is certainly not a very common book to find in that wrapper. The date in it is 1963 - when the first Dean edition was published!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote: but it looks from Rob's book as if the text was changed in 1969. I think that a book published in 1969 would still have had cloth boards and a dustwrapper as I am fairly certain that there were no Dean laminated books published before 1971.
Confusing! But maybe Dean didn't always update their dates? My laminated Three Golliwogs Dean book has the date 1969. :?

It has 48 titles listed on the back. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

The titles on the back mean that 1974 is the earliest possible date for your book, Rob, it might have been quite a bit later. The 1969 is almost certainly the date that the text was changed and like most Dean books all editions would have had that date from then on. I would think it likely that it originally came out in 1969 with cloth boards and a dustwrapper, but we would need to find someone who has a copy to confirm this.