The Magic Faraway Tree with dust jacket in good condition

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

The Magic Faraway Tree with dust jacket in good condition

Post by sixret »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enid-Blyton-T ... 2793547878" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GBP39.99

A bargain, I would say! :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: The Magic Faraway Tree with dust jacket in good conditio

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree.

This is one series I don't have in the original version. I sold all the original versions I had - Magic Faraway Tree, Enchanted wood and Folk of the Faraway Tree - all without dust wrappers. I much prefer the Rene Cloke illustrations in the Dean books, which is the version I have.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oooh... I already have that one (it's the only "original" version of the Faraway Tree books I have), but not in nearly as good condition. I've put in a bid for it, but if it escalates into a bidding war, I won't push for it — and if someone else (especially a fellow EB fan) wants it more than I do, I'm happy with that. Thanks, Sixret, for the tip-off (and well done on your own recent purchase of the three books, by the way). :D

Rob, I love the Rene Cloke illustrations too (I grew up with them as well), but Dorothy Wheeler's have a really magical and classic quality about them and I would love to have good copies of all her versions if only I can do it without breaking the bank! :wink: I haven't really picked up the Faraway Tree books since I was little, but they were probably the first full-length EB books I ever read (well, Mum did a fair bit of the reading) and I was enchanted right from the start! :lol: I probably wouldn't have gone on to the Famous Five, the Five Find-Outers and all the rest of them if the Faraway Tree and the Wishing-Chair hadn't started me off.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I seem to have had a bargain as I have the same edition with a similar quality dustjacket and my records tell me I got it for £5. I'm trying to remember where or when that would have been. I suspect it was in Leakey's in Inverness which is not known for underpricing!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I do quite like the Dorothy Wheeler illustrations - its just I don't think of the characters as looking that way! I much prefer Moonface with a big round moon head - although I know many fans don't! ;-)

I love the card game, drawn by Dorothy Wheeler - I think her illustrations in colour are amazing! :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh drat — Rob, you've just reminded me that I was going to take the card game to Australia to show to my family and I've forgotten to pack it (and I'm at the airport hotel now, so no going back). :P Maybe next time!!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Rob Houghton wrote:I much prefer Moonface with a big round moon head
So do I!
I had the 1978 Beaver copy of The Enchanted Wood as a little girl, and that's the only version I've ever had, so the picture of Moon-Face on the cover, with an actual moon for a face, is the one I grew up with and liked.

This probably sounds odd, but, I love anything to do with the moon and find it really beautiful, so to me, someone called Moon-Face should have something magical and literally moon-like about him (because I think Moon-Face is a magical-sounding name!), rather than just being depicted as a funny little man with a big round face, as Dorothy Wheeler does.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Enjoy your time with your family in Australia, Courtenay!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Thank you, Courtenay and good luck with your bidding, Courtenay! Frankly, I am surprised to know that you, of all forumites have put a bid knowing that you don't just buy any Blyton book. I gather you must like this series very much. :wink: Have a safe journey to the land down below! :D

Well done, Fiona. £5 is hard to beat. The only way I could buy vintage Blyton books are from online market. I am well aware of cheap vintage books if bought in the actual bookshops in UK. :D

I agree with Rob and Cathy. I also prefer Cloke's interpretation of Moonface. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

It's interesting that since Rene Cloke depicted Moonface as having a moon for a head, every other subsequent illustrator has done pretty much the same. 8) Dorothy Wheeler is the only illustrator who depicted him looking like a man.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I had and still have the Dorothy Wheeler illustrated books and love her illustrations. When I first saw the Rene Cloke depiction of Moonface I didn't like it at all... he looked like a caricature to me. I still prefer him to look more in proportion to a human!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I felt the opposite way round, lol - as I had only ever seen Moonface with a big round Moon as a head! It wasn't until I was in my early 20's that I saw Dorothy Wheelers interpretation - and I found it shocking and disappointing - she destroyed my childhood image of Moonface!! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

I think which illustration we prefer is down to which one we first saw when we were young.

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree. Although I've grown to accept Dorothy Wheeler's illustrations, and I like all the other character depictions a lot, to me the Rene Cloke version are the 'Proper' ones because they are the ones I've known for nearly 46 years!. :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

sixret wrote:I think which illustration we prefer is down to which one we first saw when we were young.
I agree.. it is the same with the Eileen Soper v. Betty Maxey illustrations for the Fives books. For me it is Eileen Soper every time!

To me, looking at the development of illustrating, Moonface with a 'real' moon for a face was the start of the caricaturing of other characters in subsequent years.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member