Complete set of 'Barney' hardbacks with wrappers - eBay

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Complete set of 'Barney' hardbacks with wrappers - eBay

Post by Rob Houghton »

I thought this wasn't a bad price for anyone interested in getting the whole set with wrappers. A couple of the wrappers look slightly chipped - and some loss on the rear of 'Rubadub' - but generally I thought the price (£35.00 and free postage) wasn't bad - only really £5.00 a book after postage has been paid.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361830945080? ... EBIDX%3AIT
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: Complete set of 'Barney' hardbacks with wrappers - eBay

Post by John Pickup »

It doesn't look a bad set at all. I've always wanted Ragamuffin in a wraparound but the extra height of that book has always put me off. Why on earth did Collins make the book different to the others?
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Their really nice and if I didn't already have all 6 I might have been tempted, but I'd only be paying for the wrappers, which is too much :( .

The extra height on Ragamuffin annoys me too as it looks odd when put alongside the other five, but I've found if it's put on a shelf with other books the same/similar height following it it looks better. It still doesn't look part of the same set but it doesn't stick out oddly from it either. Not ideal, but how exactly are you supposed to make a book made higher than the rest of a set look like it's part of that set? :P
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Chop off half an inch at the bottom? :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

IceMaiden wrote:Not ideal, but how exactly are you supposed to make a book made higher than the rest of a set look like it's part of that set? :P
Other than taking a hacksaw to it... :twisted: :wink:

I'd seriously consider these, but I haven't ever read any of the Barney books other than Rockingdown, which I've read twice and found both times that it didn't grab me much — it built up brilliantly but the actual mystery, as it unfolded, was a let-down. I know everyone assures me that most of the rest of the books are much better, but I've just never got around to them! So I can't yet justify buying a complete set if I'm not sure I would want to keep them in the long run. I'd rather go for cheap "reading copies" of each and, if I like them, gradually replace them with early editions with dust jackets in the best possible condition. A very good deal overall, though, as you say, Rob.
Fiona1986 wrote:Chop off half an inch at the bottom? :lol:
Ah, just saw this from you, Fiona — great minds and all that... :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

But they also say that fools rarely tend to differ :P
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

True. 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree about the early editions of 'Ragamuffin Mystery' being a different height - daft idea! I wonder why the publishers decided on doing that? Then again, as we all know, there's no accounting for publisher's decisions! :roll: Of course, another (less drastic!) solution to the height problem is to buy a slightly more recent edition. My wrap-around dust jacket version is from 1963, and by then they were all a uniform height!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

It's one of my bug-bears. Why do publishers change covers (or formats) half-way through a series? It's fine for anyone who starts buying after the change, but fans from the beginning will have to live with a mismatched set. Mary-Janice Davidson's Undead series springs to mind, and I know Jodi Taylor's books are now on their THIRD set (but I only have hers on Kindle so it doesn't keep me up at night). I'm sure Sara Sheridan's hardbacks have one that's taller than the rest (thankfully I have even sized paperbacks)...

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Fiona1986 wrote:Chop off half an inch at the bottom? :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Have to use a circular saw then to get it all even :P

I once got into trouble at a job placement for a similar suggestion to that. They were sorting letters out ready to post when somebody complained the stamp was too big and they didn't have another. I jokingly said 'cut it in half' in jest and the humourless idiot reported me! :shock: I got hauled in front of the boss and was given a real ticking off!
Rob Houghton wrote:I agree about the early editions of 'Ragamuffin Mystery' being a different height - daft idea! I wonder why the publishers decided on doing that? Then again, as we all know, there's no accounting for publisher's decisions! :roll: Of course, another (less drastic!) solution to the height problem is to buy a slightly more recent edition. My wrap-around dust jacket version is from 1963, and by then they were all a uniform height!
I had thought about getting a different edition and if I'd bought it myself I probably would have, however mine was a Christmas present so it's out of the question. I don't mind swapping things I have bought and paid for but apart from changing the odd faulty/wrong size item I have never ever swapped, sold or handed on a present.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶