3 nice hardbacks with d/j

Advertise items for sale. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
MrPunch
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Timmy

3 nice hardbacks with d/j

Post by MrPunch »

Found 3 more hardbacks -

Mystery Stories -2 stories The Secret of Cliff Castle & Smuggler Ben, 1st edition ?year

The Six Bad Boys - 1st edition 1951

The Mystery of the Hidden House - 2nd edition, first reprint 1952

All in pretty good condition but not mint.
D/J s are scruffy round the edges but all have intact prices.

Let me know if you're interested.
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Re: 3 nice hardbacks with d/j

Post by MJE »

*Could* be interested - I am (on and off) trying to rebuild my Blyton collection, since, while I have most of the books I am interested in, many of them are very tatty.
     But I would ideally like to see pictures of the books. Due to having bought multiple copies in not-so-good condition in the past, and really wasted money because I am then dissatisfied and want to buy better copies, I am now more selective in the copies I am willing to buy. It may cost more to get good ones, but if you get multiple cheaper, tatty copies, I figure you end up wasting more money and time than if you just bide your time and wait for a good copy to come along, and be willing to pay more for it.
     So my interest would depend on the condition of the copies, and the prices you wanted. Condition can be hard to describe in words, and there have been times when I bought a book on the basis of no images, or inadequate images, and, when I finally got the book, it was either in better condition than I had expected, or else worse condition.
     (Did those "doubles" like "Mystery Stories", "Adventure Stories", and "Dog Stories" have editions with actual dustjackets, as against the illustrations being directly on the hard covers? Those are the only versions of those I've ever seen.)
     (And what is the importance of intact prices? I gather price-clipping seriously reduces the value of a book; but some instances of price-clipping I've seen seem to mar the book far less than some general wear-and-tear. So why is it considered so important about price-clipping?)

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

MJE wrote:   
     (Did those "doubles" like "Mystery Stories", "Adventure Stories", and "Dog Stories" have editions with actual dustjackets, as against the illustrations being directly on the hard covers? Those are the only versions of those I've ever seen.)
That's something I can answer, as I have all those you mention in dust-jacket versions. So - yes - they did come with dust-jackets originally. :-D The printed boards came in the late 1960's/early 1970's. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'd be interested in the Six Bad Boys.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Katharine wrote:I'd be interested in the Six Bad Boys.
There's no answer to that! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

:wink:
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

:shock: :lol: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)